Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Turbo Diesel Questions (6.6 duramax)

Search this Thread

Old October 26th, 2007, 9:23 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Diesel Questions (6.6 duramax)

Hey everyone, I joined the forums to expand my gear head knowledge.

I have extensive back round in The VQ35DE (G35 coupe) and a little bit of the SRT-8 platform (Jeep)

A few of my buddies have these 2500HD 6.6L Duramax with Allison Tranny's and they think it's the ****... (which it very well may be)
The thing that is killing me, is he is claiming 250+ HP off from some 800$chip.
Now for me that's a big WTF, considering I spent close to 10,000 Twin Turbo-ing my G35 to get 135 hp gain (to the wheels). So I guess, Does anyone have personal experience with chips that have seen even 75% of these claimed gains? Also, if anyone can enlighten me on HOW it does it and WHAT does it do to the truck to make it just 'find' all that power?

Also, how much power do these things make before you have to build the engine (cams, heads???, RODS?) or replace the turbo?

What kind of power is putting these trucks in the mid 12's on the 1/4 mile?

Thanks everyone! I really look forward to learning from everyone's experience, and if yall have any questions about anything on a VQ35DE/TT or RB26DETT i'm your man =)
Old December 16th, 2007, 12:24 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Turbo Diesel Questions (6.6 duramax)

i have a 04 2500hd 6.6 turbo diesel with the edge juice w/attitude and it goes up to 125hp with 5 power settings and you cant get the full power oflevel 4and5 withoutbigger injectors and turbo upgrade. And about the transmission, I like it but its made to defuel between shifts so it dont spill your morning coffee witch i dont like but with the edge chip you can turn it off but its still a little slow going into 4th and 5th. oh yea my transmission has locked up in 3rd gear so i took it to the dealership they reset my computer but they said it would cost me about 9000 the next time it did it bc i would haft buy a new trans
Old December 27th, 2007, 11:49 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Turbo Diesel Questions (6.6 duramax)

There is a big differnce between diesel and gas engines. Diesel has more BTU's compared to gasoline. They are built much stronger than a gas engine. Diesels come detuned from the factory to meet emissions and to make them driveable for the average man. The diffenrt chips on the market put more fuel into the engine and therefore make much more power.