Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Uneven front brake pad wear

Search this Thread

Old August 14th, 2011, 8:46 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uneven front brake pad wear

I have an 08 Silverado LT 4x4. The outside front pads have worn down to nothing on the top edge roughly 1/2" down while leaving at least 3/8" wear on the bottom of the pad. The back side pad is worn out flat on both side (pass and drivers). The only thing I can contribute to this is the caliper design by chevy, it doesn't cover the distance of the pad. The front of the caliper leaves almost 3/4" with no pressure being applied to it. My camaro Z28 caliper takes up the entire bracket while the one on the silverado leaves tons of room. Any one else seen this wear issue? Has chevy changed the design or said anything? Seems like a safety issue.
Old August 14th, 2011, 11:33 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe upgrade to an aftermarket caliper if it is indeed the design.
Put some Brembo's on there!
Old August 17th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by smkeeling
I have an 08 Silverado LT 4x4. The outside front pads have worn down to nothing on the top edge roughly 1/2" down while leaving at least 3/8" wear on the bottom of the pad. The back side pad is worn out flat on both side (pass and drivers). The only thing I can contribute to this is the caliper design by chevy, it doesn't cover the distance of the pad. The front of the caliper leaves almost 3/4" with no pressure being applied to it. My camaro Z28 caliper takes up the entire bracket while the one on the silverado leaves tons of room. Any one else seen this wear issue? Has chevy changed the design or said anything? Seems like a safety issue.
Have you brought this to the attention of your local dealer? I can also look into this with your VIN. Please feel free to keep me posted either way. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.