Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

VERY poor MPG

Search this Thread

Old February 22nd, 2014, 5:00 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by '03 Heavy Chevy
If yours is the gas-hybrid model then there isn't an inline fuel filter. If its other than gas-hybrid then it has an inline filter. If the later is the case then the store employee is looking up the wrong vehicle. Whenever I need to go to Autozone, I look up the part number first for several reasons....I know what part I need so when I get to the store I tell the # and they get the part and I'm gone (no more of a wait than necessary), I verify which store has the part so I don't drive everywhere looking for it, and if anyone is wrong about the part I can only be mad at myself

Here is the Fram catalog link. You can punch in your truck info and get the filter # for your truck.

FRAM - Application Look-up

I get the Fram # and pick up my filters at Walmart.....they are consistently the cheapest around.
thanks for that link, but that site says the same thing i know even though i wish it would have stated a filter. here is a pic of that site with my truck info on it

Name:  VVTMZInm.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  14.0 KB
Old February 23rd, 2014, 10:05 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JPS69OLDS
thanks for that link, but that site says the same thing i know even though i wish it would have stated a filter. here is a pic of that site with my truck info on it
Well that stinks. I guess you got one of the few models that doesn't use an external filter.

I see that you have a VIN "T" model listed on the site, by chance did you verify that the 8 digit in your VIN is a "T"? Not trying to be a smart alec to you, just trying to cover the bases for identifying your truck. You would be surprised how many ppl don't know what model vehicle they have including engines size, etc.
Old February 23rd, 2014, 12:34 PM
CF Junior Member

Cool

Well that stinks. I guess you got one of the few models that doesn't use an external filter.

I see that you have a VIN "T" model listed on the site, by chance did you verify that the 8 digit in your VIN is a "T"? Not trying to be a smart alec to you, just trying to cover the bases for identifying your truck. You would be surprised how many ppl don't know what model vehicle they have including engines size, etc.
yeah the vin is T i kind of wish it was a flex fuel but oh well. yeah this truck is a silverado LS ext cab and from what i gather its 4wd but the awd version since the 4w selector has a auto function as well as the 2wd high/4wd low/ 4wd high.

but this truck has a bunch of electronic problems that came up just after i had for 30days. like the AC pump locked up and burnt the belt, just glad that those stupid designers/engineers thought that the ac should have its own belt by it self. but driver side door switch and head light switch i have replaced so far. i need to do the dash cluster since about 4 things dont work on it or light up that is.

beside having to replace a under 2yr old interstate battery and then the alt, but the charging doesnt seem to be fully fix yet. maybe if i can get all these problems fix maybe just maybe my mpg may come up.. how knows lol
Old February 23rd, 2014, 1:23 PM
CF Junior Member

yeah the vin is T i kind of wish it was a flex fuel but oh well. yeah this truck is a silverado LS ext cab and from what i gather its 4wd but the awd version since the 4w selector has a auto function as well as the 2wd high/4wd low/ 4wd high.

but this truck has a bunch of electronic problems that came up just after i had for 30days. like the AC pump locked up and burnt the belt, just glad that those stupid designers/engineers thought that the ac should have its own belt by it self. but driver side door switch and head light switch i have replaced so far. i need to do the dash cluster since about 4 things dont work on it or light up that is.

beside having to replace a under 2yr old interstate battery and then the alt, but the charging doesnt seem to be fully fix yet. maybe if i can get all these problems fix maybe just maybe my mpg may come up.. how knows lol
Yes I hear ya on that AC belt issue. Lucky you!

On the dash issue, there is a company (can't remember their name) on EBAY that sells new ones for much less than the dealership. You send them your mileage and vehicle info and they ship to you. From what I found, the cluster replacing is pretty simple and straight forward. I have had to replace my cluster once and now the oil pressure gauge reads at max even when the engine isnt running but the key is on.....

On the alt / charging system (if its not charging enough) you be able too go with a higher amp alt to fix it. Just have to make sure they make one for your truck. But first rule out bad connections, old wires, etc.
Old February 23rd, 2014, 6:03 PM
CF Active Member

hittman - I seriously doubt that a failed evap-purge system is going to affect your gas mileage - '06 - OBD II - very smart.

Is it worse than it used to be or has it recently dropped off.

There's a reason Fram filters are the cheapest. Spend the extra couple of $$ and buy AC Delco filters.
Old February 23rd, 2014, 6:09 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Pugly
hittman - I seriously doubt that a failed evap-purge system is going to affect your gas mileage - '06 - OBD II - very smart.

Is it worse than it used to be or has it recently dropped off.

There's a reason Fram filters are the cheapest. Spend the extra couple of $$ and buy AC Delco filters.
Are you on the right page?
Old February 24th, 2014, 4:14 AM
CF Junior Member

far as fram filters go, yeah they are cheap for a reason main reason why i run K&N on my Olds and the air filter on my truck,for now. but other wise AC Delco is the way to go. uhm guess ill have to do a search and see if i can find that on ebay. unless you can remember and paste a link for them. but yeah my left turn and crusie control and gear indicator dont work at all.

but yeah i was glad that the AC pump has it very own belt for sure since i dont have the cash to get it fix yet got other problems with this lemon of a truck i have.

ill never go to Bocker Chevrolet in freeport , illinois ever again !!!
Old February 24th, 2014, 8:42 AM
CF Junior Member

unless you can remember and paste a link for them. but yeah my left turn and crusie control and gear indicator dont work at all.

but yeah i was glad that the AC pump has it very own belt for sure since i dont have the cash to get it fix yet got other problems with this lemon of a truck i have.

ill never go to Bocker Chevrolet in freeport , illinois ever again !!!
Lol I think you are holding back your feelings

link for clusters
gauge cluster 2004 chevy silverado | eBay

link for repair of your cluster -
2003 2006 Chevrolet Silverado Tahoe Instrument Gauge Cluster Repair 2004 2005 | eBay
Old February 24th, 2014, 10:04 AM
CF Active Member

Are you on the right page?
?????????
Old February 24th, 2014, 1:04 PM
CF Junior Member

ah thank you for the links, i do like that 1 set with the white gauges and not bad of a price even with free shipping and still a tad bit better price then waiting for the dealer here to get it order in.

back the low mpg i wonder if the stock cats could be a cause? even though on my truck the exhaust feels good out of the tail pipe and all but i have herd other that removed or clean the cats out and got a huge jump in mpg saving.. but i wonder what it does with all of these O2 sensors this thing has ya know and how they will effect the truck. but dang i need more then just 10mog city/highway i need like close 20mpg would be great

Quick Reply: VERY poor MPG