Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

VERY poor MPG

Search this Thread

Old February 24th, 2014, 3:00 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pugly
?????????
OOOOPSSS! My mistake Pugly
Old February 24th, 2014, 6:09 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by '03 Heavy Chevy
OOOOPSSS! My mistake Pugly
no worries it will be my turn next
Old February 24th, 2014, 10:54 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by JPS69OLDS
back the low mpg i wonder if the stock cats could be a cause? even though on my truck the exhaust feels good out of the tail pipe and all but i have herd other that removed or clean the cats out and got a huge jump in mpg saving.. but i wonder what it does with all of these O2 sensors this thing has ya know and how they will effect the truck. but dang i need more then just 10mog city/highway i need like close 20mpg would be great
I've heard / read it it both ways. Some say it made a difference and others said they felt like truck ran better but didn't see a difference in MPG

I agree with needing more MPG's I could use a few myself. One guy mentioned that I bought a tank so the MPG's should be low....LOL He was right but I wished he wasn't....
Old February 24th, 2014, 10:55 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Pugly
no worries it will be my turn next
Ok sounds good to me LOL
Old February 24th, 2014, 11:06 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Originally Posted by '03 Heavy Chevy
I've heard / read it it both ways. Some say it made a difference and others said they felt like truck ran better but didn't see a difference in MPG

I agree with needing more MPG's I could use a few myself. One guy mentioned that I bought a tank so the MPG's should be low....LOL He was right but I wished he wasn't....
true on the tank part. but still why were they advertised in having this so call great mpg when in real life they dont? right now my truck gets 2 mpg better then my 69 Olds does which isnt all that great really. if it wasnt for the snow/salt on the ground i would drive my olds cause it is much cooler and still turns head and sets off car alarms yet lol

a autozone worker has a 02 i think and he said he went from 12 mpg to 24mpg by reworking <lol nice wording.. just by ding that alone. now that i would do in a heart beat ya know.
Old February 24th, 2014, 11:17 PM
CF Junior Member

true on the tank part. but still why were they advertised in having this so call great mpg when in real life they dont? right now my truck gets 2 mpg better then my 69 Olds does which isnt all that great really. if it wasnt for the snow/salt on the ground i would drive my olds cause it is much cooler and still turns head and sets off car alarms yet lol
They advertise what sells......those sales stickers on the windows show "estimated" MPG's. I've read on the forums that those estimated mpg's are using a vehicle going approx. 45 mph. on a closed circle track. Factor in reality and street lights and just plain bad luck......and shazam.....we have poor gas mileage.... LOL

Nothing wrong with turning heads and draining batteries via car alarms. LOL

a autozone worker has a 02 i think and he said he went from 12 mpg to 24mpg by reworking <lol nice wording.. just by ding that alone. now that i would do in a heart beat ya know.
He may have used a tuner to reprogram the computer / transmission for better gas mileage rather than pulling power. I have asked for input on the tuners. So far I've read / received feedback that says about 50/50 to do it or not to do it. Those tuners are expensive.....
Old February 26th, 2014, 9:03 AM
CF Active Member

One of the best ways to test your cats is with a temperature gun ( TIF Instruments Infrared Thermometer Pro 10:1: Heating, Cooling, & Air Quality : Walmart.com ), the other is a back-pressure test.

The outlet of the cat with the engine warm at 2500 rpm should be hotter than the inlet - if the inlet is hotter then the cat has a restriction inside and should be replaced.

For some reason I only average 14.5 mpg out of my 6.0L. I can average 16.5 on the HWY but choose not to. Driving habits have a huge affect on not-so fuel efficient vehicles.

One more suggestion is the old "put an egg between your foot and the accelerator pedal."

Last edited by Pugly; February 26th, 2014 at 9:24 AM.