Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Vortec Max cam suggestions

Search this Thread

Old March 6th, 2015, 8:42 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vortec Max cam suggestions

I'm looking for some suggestions on a cam for my truck. It's a 2007 NBS Sierra with the 6.0 Vortec Max. I'm thinking about getting an aftermarket cam for it, but really dont know what would suit me best. I dont want to go real crazy, but want to get some more snort across the entire RPM range. I'd also like for it to be a good cam for a supercharger because I'd like to go that route in the future (like 3+ years that is). The truck has LT headers and a CAI and is awaiting for its new ECM and TCM from BlackBear to arrive. I'm also not sure if my truck has VVT, does someone know if these motors do for sure? Or could tell me how to check? Also, what would you say the difficulty level is for a swap? Could someone like me do it themselves?(18, not a great amount of experience, but not clueless either)
It does have AFM but it will be tuned out with new ECM, and I'll be removing the hardware for it when I swap cams.
If someone has a suggestion I'd love to hear it.
Old March 8th, 2015, 9:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It does have vvt. You'll need to order the DOD delete kit even if you tune out the AFM. The lifters in those are the problem and the DOD delete kit will take care of that. You plan on doin any upgrades to the transmission? That'll be needed if so. I'd at least do hd2 shift kit, vette servo, 40k tranny cooler, and a 3200 stall paired with a 220/220 cam. I'm not sure how it'll do with a supercharger, but that's a damn good setup. Same thing I'm runnin and love the combo.
Old March 9th, 2015, 12:04 PM
CF Junior Member

Holy ***** that stuff is cheap! Except for the cam and converter of course. Just out of curiosity though, what does a 3200 stall converter do? I'm not against getting it, just wondering what it actually does. Is there a 220/220 available that's compatible with vvt? Or should I get the kit to remove that too? I'd kind of rather not if I don't have to. Any sellers you'd recommend? I've been looking at TSP and OPT and a few others.
Originally Posted by country_09
It does have vvt. You'll need to order the DOD delete kit even if you tune out the AFM. The lifters in those are the problem and the DOD delete kit will take care of that. You plan on doin any upgrades to the transmission? That'll be needed if so. I'd at least do hd2 shift kit, vette servo, 40k tranny cooler, and a 3200 stall paired with a 220/220 cam. I'm not sure how it'll do with a supercharger, but that's a damn good setup. Same thing I'm runnin and love the combo.
Old March 9th, 2015, 8:40 PM
Super Moderator

lol it'll add up. And TSP has a DOD delete kit I believe that'll take care of it all. They can actually custom spec you a cam that'll be good now, and for when you supercharge I believe. 3200 stall, I can't exactly explain what it does other than puts the power to the ground, holds gears longer, and gets you out the hole faster. It'll shave off a few tenths time in a 1/4. I love mine
Old March 9th, 2015, 9:29 PM
CF Junior Member

I want to keep the drivability of my truck too though. It's not a daily driver, but I'd still like to get from A to B without feeling like I'm driving a formula 1 car. Is the converter going to make it drive differently? I am willing to sacrifice some comfort for performance though. Like just for an example, say I'm at a stopsign and I don't feel like lead footing it (not likely, but you never know ) will it feel semi-normal? Just want to get an idea of what it's gonna be like. And how bout the installation side? Is it doable without taking it to a shop?
Originally Posted by country_09
lol it'll add up. And TSP has a DOD delete kit I believe that'll take care of it all. They can actually custom spec you a cam that'll be good now, and for when you supercharge I believe. 3200 stall, I can't exactly explain what it does other than puts the power to the ground, holds gears longer, and gets you out the hole faster. It'll shave off a few tenths time in a 1/4. I love mine
Old March 12th, 2015, 7:00 PM
Super Moderator

Both of my trucks drive normal. Yes, there's some drivability loss because it is performance you're addin. But I wouldn't change what I've done to either of them. The 2600 stall I have in my daily requires a tad more pedal to get movin vs the 3200 I have in my play truck. It's a matter of how loose or tight you want the converter. Loose requires more pedal, tight isn't as bad