Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Westside Chevrolet Scams

Search this Thread

Old October 10th, 2014, 3:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Westside Chevrolet Scams

I don't know if this is the right forum to use, I am sure you will let me know.
Just trying to help. This is the problem I had trying to buy my 2014 truck.

My story, long but true and some of my opinions.

I used Truecar.com to see what I was going to pay and with what extras I could afford.
When I did this about 6 dealerships got the info. on the truck I was looking for and I got emails and phone calls real quick.
Some of the trucks were loaded out and some didn't have all that I wanted. After looking over everything
I took a vacation day to make a deal and get a truck at a good price.
DeMontrond Dealership was about 12 miles from my house and had the truck I wanted. I wanted to get a better price than what they were giving me over the phone. The DeMontrond guy I was talking to said I could probably get the deal I wanted if I came to the dealership in person to show that I was really interested in buying a truck.

Westside is about 65 miles from my house.

I received a phone call from someone calling themselves Todd @ 10:16 am on Monday 9/15/2014.

He told me he had a truck that he needed to move and would give me a great deal. He told me in no uncertain terms that he had a $47,000 MSRP truck that he would sell to me for $37000. I had just pulled into the DeMontrond dealership but was still in my truck. I told Todd to email me the information on the truck and I would leave and go back home to look at it. So I looked at the truck and I asked for a picture of the window MSRP. I asked him again that this had to be a locked in price for me to drive that far. I live just 10 miles north of Galveston and I told him repeatedly that I would only drive from my house to your dealership for a great deal.

He still said it was a locked in price at $37,000 plus TTL. So I said I was going to head that way. On my way I called him back to confirm that this was not a truck that a dealer had driven and what was the mileage. He told me less than a hundred miles, about 50. I said ok and again said this truck price is $37,000. He said yes again.

I got to the dealership and he was outside and met me. He had the truck right there and so we got in and he shows me all of the options and how to work them. Then he said let's go for a test drive and we did. We got back and went inside and the next thing I get from another guy(Hussein Hylton I think) is we can sell you this truck for $42,000+. I looked at Todd and I said you told me $37,000. He meekly said I told you I would try to sell it to you for $37,000. The other guy never asked if Todd had said $37,000. It smelled of bait and switch or whatever you call it. I said no deal and went to the bathroom before I left and I was so mad that I couldn't even pee. I am certain that this was a SCAM FROM THE VERY START. I know I had asked about the price 3 or 4 times. I emailed the General Manager Owen McCumber about this and said if you still have these two guys working for you, I would recommend firing them. No response!

WESTSIDE CHEVROLET RUNS SCAMS ON PEOPLE SO BEWARE.

I am one of them so I know firsthand.

Old October 11th, 2014, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just went through a similar situation buyin my wife a car at Tom peacock nissan. I however got what I was told after a week or not contactin them, they contacted me and actually got the car for what I told them I'd pay for it after what they tried to scam me.

Glad you caught it and didn't get a fast one pulled on you!
Old October 12th, 2014, 9:20 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dishonest people at a car dealership?

Oh, I am so shocked!!

^^ Sarcasm. ^^
Old October 13th, 2014, 8:20 PM
CF Beginner

I hope that you will understand that I know just as well as you or anyone else that dealerships are subject some serious tricks/deceit/lying whatever. I put this in post to expose Westside and warn people and give Westside as much publi****y(lol) as possible. I am trying to contact GM as well. I hope to shut them down if that is possible. I am pissed. I did get an over the phone quote that Demontrond dealership stuck to when I went to pick up the truck. So there is at least one that will honor an over the phone quote.

Last edited by dlgintx1; October 13th, 2014 at 8:25 PM.
Old October 13th, 2014, 9:12 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

dlgintx1 Welcome to the forum...
sorry to hear about the sour deal... do take the time to post the name of the dealership and where, and who your sales person was at the place you did like... if you are going to give any advertising, at least give it to the folks that deserve it
Old October 15th, 2014, 5:19 PM
CF Beginner

Talking Dealership that stuck to the're phone quote

in2pro, Thank you for the good advice. The truck that I bought was from DeMontrond Chevrolet
3220 Gulf Freeway
Texas City, TX 77591
ph#281-337-1100
Sales Rep. David Dorman
I think David went to bat to get DeMontrond to agree on the price I wanted to pay. He calls me, I go to the dealership, no hassles.(I just remembered looking at the paperwork the price was $160 lower than the price I had said I would pay, because of some other discounts he said he had found) David actually said don't mention the extra discount. So I start filling out all of the paperwork to purchase the truck. I had prearranged financing through my Credit Union @ 2.66%, they were able to get me 1.66% thru Capital One. They did not jack up or add on any extra fees. All in All I think that they did an excellent job and I would recommend them to anyone in the Houston/Galveston Texas area.
I have tried to contact some GM higher ups to get this to there attention. I did receive a phone call from customer service at a higher level than the norm. If I am not mistaken, Brian Sweeney took over VP of Chevrolet Sales USA. So that was the name I gave the customer service person and told her this would be my last purchase of a $40,000+ Chevrolet truck if something isn't done. We will see if anything is done. I will let everybody know. Thanks again in2pro for the advice. I had missed that thought.
Old October 15th, 2014, 8:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 512 Likes on 472 Posts

the entire car buying process is designed to extract as much money out of you as possible.
I have tried multiple times to buy used car at the dealership I work at and both times I am floored by what they tell me how much money they have into these vehicles. They can get more money selling to wholesalers than to me. I buy privately.
There are some good salespeople out there but most are sharks. the sharks make the most money so owners love them.

Last edited by tech2; October 15th, 2014 at 8:44 PM.
Old October 16th, 2014, 9:30 AM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Car buying is like playing poker

It really comes down to doing your homework when car buying... I will agree that the sales persons are never your allies in the process....
Know what vehicle you want and stick to it
find it on the lot
find out what the mark up is on that model and what the typical invoice price is
offer somewhere in the ranger of 3-7% over invoice..
The dealership will always make money even at invoice price the percent over is what the sales person and other people associated with the sales get to split...
You can offer to pay invoice, but expect to be rejected with no way can't do it...
Always be prepared to walk a way from any deal, don't let them see how badly you want / need a vehicle and never reveal your situation...
CAR BUYING IS LIKE PLAYING POKER remember that always!
never let them know your hand, because they sure won't
Old October 16th, 2014, 11:23 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by in2pro
It really comes down to doing your homework when car buying... I will agree that the sales persons are never your allies in the process....
Know what vehicle you want and stick to it
find it on the lot
find out what the mark up is on that model and what the typical invoice price is
offer somewhere in the ranger of 3-7% over invoice..
The dealership will always make money even at invoice price the percent over is what the sales person and other people associated with the sales get to split...
You can offer to pay invoice, but expect to be rejected with no way can't do it...
Always be prepared to walk a way from any deal, don't let them see how badly you want / need a vehicle and never reveal your situation...
CAR BUYING IS LIKE PLAYING POKER remember that always!
never let them know your hand, because they sure won't
Poker works, my personal favorite is "Use as much caution buying a car as a naked man uses climbing a ****** wire fence."

Better to need it and walk off without it than to get it and be shredded.

This is one of two reason I won't buy a new vehicle anymore. While I have no reservations about telling some one "You don't like my offer I'll find it elsewhere" my problem is too many of the dealerships around here are not as negotiable because they know people absolutely NEED the car they are looking at. Road salt and poor road maintenance make for favorable conditions for dealers with short life spans for cars and they know it here. and these are the honest ones, the shady ones are that much worse. I put a giant shaft to a shady dealership when they attempted to shaft a 93 yo woman who was loyal to them since the 1980's but that is another story. Any way I would rather buy from someones back yard, deal with a few issues and have it paid off, but that is just me, that practice is not right for everyone.

The other reason I won't buy a new vehicle is my dream truck sits in my driveway and has been out of production since 2002

*EDIT*
Originally Posted by tech2
the entire car buying process is designed to extract as much money out of you as possible.
I have tried multiple times to buy used car at the dealership I work at and both times I am floored by what they tell me how much money they have into these vehicles. They can get more money selling to wholesalers than to me. I buy privately.
There are some good salespeople out there but most are sharks. the sharks make the most money so owners love them.
Yeah, it does not take much to trash a budget with a car. I am currently going through this with a Pontiac Grand Am SE. KBB estimates the car to be worth $1800 (on the button as of yesterday lol) Bought the car for $400 drove it home planning on fixing it and phenceing it off for $1500. It took me only a couple few days to drop almost a grand into the car despite getting parts for around 45-55% retail value. Within a month my profit margin was near nothing and I didn't really do anything, Couple sensors, fuel pump (previous owner already started it when I bought it so it was quick and easy) all four window regulators, a bumper cover and a set of mirrors. If I start calculating my labor in, the car is in the red

so yeah, it doesn't take much.

Last edited by Ronin1014; October 16th, 2014 at 11:37 AM. Reason: adding quote and reply to another message
Old October 17th, 2014, 3:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dlgintx1 thanks for the post. Friend of mine just went through this at a Ford dealership in Angleton, TX. I know to not go to Westside when I start searching for a Diesel next year.

Quick Reply: Westside Chevrolet Scams