Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Will Coke remove rust???

Search this Thread

Old January 26th, 2012, 8:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will Coke remove rust???

Ok Chevy fans gotta another brain buster for ya. Some absolute piece of trash of a person who obviously doesn't know how to park scratched the s^&t out of my driver's side front chrome bumper and didnt leave a note (if you have read any of my other posts you know I have a brand new 2012 Silverado 2500HD). Anyway the scratches are pretty deep and are starting to rust (IDOT uses a TON of sodium chloride on the roads in the winter). I've taken it to two different body shops and they averaged about 730 clams to replace the bumper-470ish for the part and the rest is labor. It's not expensive enough of a fix to claim on insurance so I'd like to go the frugal route and fix it myself. So my question is can i use Coca-Cola or soda water to remove the rust and if so does anybody know of some kind of Chrome filler I can use to fill the scratches. FYI if any of you have performed a hit-and-run I want you to go outside, put your head down and run at your truck as fast as you can!
Old January 26th, 2012, 8:52 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have heard that using coke is BS
using pickle juice works great or
pb blaster available everywhere

Old January 26th, 2012, 9:38 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

coca cola works on corrosion i have used it on a battery to remove corrosion kinda scary to look at sence i drink a lot of it pb works great for loosing bolts that are full of rust and a great lube but ive never used it to remove rust but try it if it doesnt work well then you got a good can of pb that works 100% better than wd40 from my personal experience