Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Wipers messed up

Search this Thread

Old July 14th, 2015, 11:14 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wipers messed up

So I recently bought a 1990 Scottsdale secondhand from some guy that didn't know up from down... he told me that the wipers are very temperamental... well he's right... when you turn them on with the key in the running position but the engine off, they do nothing.. start the truck and they work when they want to, but usually get stuck... turn the key all the way backwards to run the radio, and you can hear the motor groaning and hear the little blue relays on the dash clicking like mad, and the display for the heater does some funny things... does anyone have any idea what wires he screwed with or how I can fix this?
Old July 14th, 2015, 12:04 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Wipers messed up

The circuit boards in those wiper motor assemblies are prone to problems. I'd start there unless the guy told you he jacked with the wiring.
Old July 14th, 2015, 12:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well he did say he wired in some emergency lights, he was a volunteer firefighter supposedly, as am I, and you can see evidence of botched wiring... I just don't understand why the heater display and all that would be affected
Old July 20th, 2015, 1:07 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try pulling and reinstalling each fuse on your fuse panel. Could be corrosion. Try doing the same to all of the connectors you can reach. Sounds like an intermittent connection problem to me. Also check all ground connections you can find.