Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

won't start

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2006, 7:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default won't start

Hey guys. Here's one for the troubleshooters out there. I got a 1996 Z-71. I noticed I had a hard time starting it a few days ago, but it started and afterwards, I sent a smoke signal and an Apache came to rescue me. Anyways, today it did the same thing, but only it did not start. I popped the hood and there was some smoke coming from the intake on top. The fuel pump works fine. It kinda coughs when I go to turn it over. A few times it turned over, but it never got all the way to full idle. Had a miss to it. this Also, I found a wire harness that was burnt up. It is located just above the valve cover. Attached is a pic. What is that wire for? Any info would be great. This is pretty sad, I can work on F-16's and B-52's but I can't fix my damn Z!

[IMG]local://upfiles/2010/07A3FFC711EA4F448DEBD6FB5E1832AC.jpg[/IMG]
Old May 29th, 2006, 11:17 PM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: won't start

it looks like the body ground strap. you would have to follow it to see what is atached at ither end to see what might have overheated. hope this helps a bit.
Old June 3rd, 2006, 10:50 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: won't start

The braided line under the wire is the EGR pipe. It routes exhaust to the intake for emission control. From the look of it, the wire just got too close to the hot pipe and the connector melted. The connector is melted and ruined anyway, so cut the wire on both sides and splice it together (away from the hot pipe!) and give her a try. If that fixes it, then you should install a new connector there, or at least a wire nut and tape it up really good.
As far as your fuel pump, have you actually checked fuel pressure? Put a test gage on it and see how much it has when the ignition is turned on (the pump will only run about 2 seconds, but enough to build pressure). I can't remember the exact spec, but 45 psi comes to mind. If it's even 2 or 3 psi less, it won't start. Try spraying some gumout or carb cleaner into the intake while someone cranks it, and see if that makes any difference. That's a dead giveaway of weak fuel pressure. Also, a plugged fuel filter will affect fuel pressure. If you haven't replaced yours in awhile, replace it and see what happens. I hope this helps.
By the way, thanks for serving our country. Good Luck and God Bless,
Revredneck