Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 6:26 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

Worst truck ever

Search this Thread

Old April 12th, 2007, 3:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worst truck ever

Sorry, had to vent, have a 99 Silverado, bought it new, been in the shop about 36 times for just about everything twice, except the tranny, warranty covered everything for the first 6 years, sorry I didn't get rid of it aftyer that, the Tranny just went, $2500 repair bill, truck has only 56,000 miles on it, never ran it hard or towed anything, what a piece of crap.

Been a Teamster for 21 years and try to only buy American, never again will I but a Chevy or any GM product, worst service and help also from the dealer, they couldn't care less about any issues I ever had, still have 1/2 the problems they said were repaired, all coming back again, what garbage.

Again, sorry for the rant.

Feel sorry for whomever get's this truck when I finally trade it in for another, wouldn't even want to sell it private, couldn't stand to take someones hard earned money for it.
Old April 13th, 2007, 1:41 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Worst truck ever

i have a 2001 bought new and only have 40k on it and tranny just went out
I hate the damn chevrolet dealers here they want to charge you for even telling you what they will charge to fix the problem
Old April 15th, 2007, 1:29 AM
CF Beginner

yall must be hell on yalls truck. mine is a 2000 and its never been in the shop for anything major. nock on wood. ive taken mine through some nasty swamps and pulled some heavy loads and nothins messed up. i think yalls problem is driver error.
Old April 16th, 2007, 10:12 AM
CF Beginner

I also had a new 1999 Silverado 4X4 and had nothing but trouble with it. We traded the '99 with less than 24,000 miles and bought a 2001 Silverado 4X4, this one was much better but did have a few problems. We now have a 2006 GMC Sierra Denali, it only has 2998 miles on it now so we have not had any problems yet.
Old April 18th, 2007, 1:01 PM
CF Beginner

I waited 3 years to find my 2000 truck.....I loved it until I started having transmission problems when I towed my camper. My camper was well within the tow rating of my truck. Every time I have taken it to the dealer they charged me to check the code and tell me there was no code there so they had no idea what was wrong. Even though I told them before I left my truck that I had checked the code. and there was nothing there " I work at an auto parts store and we read peoples codes". I have been told that the 2000 trucks have a warn transmission and in 2001 Chevy went with the Allison. I thought I would just buy an Allison 6 speed transmission and have it installed. But I was informed yesterday that the engine electronics would prevent this from happening....I don't want to buy a Dodge but to be able to tow my camper, which was the sole purpose in buying this truck in the first place. I also don't want to spend another $45,000.00 dollars to replace a $35,000.00 truck. I am so stressed when I tow that something is going to break and I am going to be stranded in BFE with no way to get my camper home, I do not enjoy my trip.... I know there has to be an answer to the loud clunk that occurs when my truck upshifts under a heavy load.....[&o]
Old April 18th, 2007, 8:14 PM
CF Junior Member

One Idea. Check your motor & tranny mounts they could be broken or loose causing a bang under stress.
Old April 18th, 2007, 9:17 PM
CF Beginner

I was reading in another post on here that the slip yoke needs to be cleaned and synthetic grease will clear up the clunk.

ORIGINAL: Bob Vaughn

I waited 3 years to find my 2000 truck.....I loved it until I started having transmission problems when I towed my camper. My camper was well within the tow rating of my truck. Every time I have taken it to the dealer they charged me to check the code and tell me there was no code there so they had no idea what was wrong. Even though I told them before I left my truck that I had checked the code. and there was nothing there " I work at an auto parts store and we read peoples codes". I have been told that the 2000 trucks have a warn transmission and in 2001 Chevy went with the Allison. I thought I would just buy an Allison 6 speed transmission and have it installed. But I was informed yesterday that the engine electronics would prevent this from happening....I don't want to buy a Dodge but to be able to tow my camper, which was the sole purpose in buying this truck in the first place. I also don't want to spend another $45,000.00 dollars to replace a $35,000.00 truck. I am so stressed when I tow that something is going to break and I am going to be stranded in BFE with no way to get my camper home, I do not enjoy my trip.... I know there has to be an answer to the loud clunk that occurs when my truck upshifts under a heavy load.....[&o]
Old April 18th, 2007, 9:50 PM
CF Beginner

I have done the grease thing and I have done the transmission mount....I never thought of the motor mounts...How do I check the motor mounts????
Old April 19th, 2007, 1:59 AM
CF Junior Member

you can get a jack and lift the engine and crawl under with a light and see if the rubber has seperated. I would check and see if somebody makes an aftermarked slip yoke that might fix that issue. I have an 07 that has no issues pulling a heavy trailer maybe the yoke on the new trucks will work not sure though. Mine is a 5.3 with a 4L60E tranny 4x4.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 1:54 AM
CF Beginner

Some of the signs that your chevrolet pickup motor mount is already worn out are the intense noise and vibrations from the connection points in the engine and vehicle frame. Deteriorated motor mounts can also cause different engine parts to fall apart, causing your car to accelerate prematurely, and become the source of leaks in the exhaust and radiator.

Quick Reply: Worst truck ever