Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

2004 chevy aveo engine dead.

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2017, 5:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 chevy aveo engine dead.

Hi I was driving to church this morning and it was raining so I was driving cautiously. I came to a red light and started putting on the brakes when all of the sudden the engine shut completely off. At first I thought I was hydroplaning because nothing looked weird the lights and the radio didn't go off but when I noticed I could no longer use the brake and the gas did nothing I realized the engine was off and I was just on battery. I had someone come help me push it out of the middle of traffic and had it towed. When I turned it off and then tried to turn it back on it makes a buzzing noise when I try to get it to turn over not a clicking or rattling like you normally think of in this situation. My oil and gas levels are fine. The lights that came on however were check engine, battery, and oil. I had a battery replacement in October so I already know it's not that simple. The place I had it towed to has free diagnostics but they won't be open until Tuesday. Does anyone have any ideas what it might be and a price estimate of what I might be paying parts wise?
Old May 29th, 2017, 1:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

ever change the timing belt, water pump and timing belt idlers?

remove the oil fill cap and see if you can see the valve train moving when its cranked over. If nothing is moving...you may have broken the timing belt. If this is the case it would crank over, but crank over fast and quiet as there is no compression.

If that is the case...seriously consider not fixing it and getting a different car.

Last edited by tech2; May 29th, 2017 at 1:29 AM.