Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

2007 Aveo Stereo turns on but no sound from speakers

Search this Thread

Old July 20th, 2010, 6:34 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Aveo Stereo turns on but no sound from speakers

My girlfriend has a 2007 Aveo and recently her stock radio quit working. The radio retains power as it is supposed to, but no sound comes out of the speakers, no AM/FM, or CD will play any sound from any of the speakers.

So I replaced it with an Aiwa unit and it was working when I had it on my lap while I was wiring it up. As soon as I put it in the dash and replaced all the panels it stopped working as well, with the exact same symptoms as the stock radio.

Thinking that maybe this radio was bad as well (it sat in my basement for a few years) I purchased a new JVC unit to put in. It wasn’t working either when I got it all wired up.

So just for fun, I put the Aiwa back in and it started working, then I took it out and put the JVC back in and it worked. I left the JVC in, in hopes it would continue to work, but less than 5 minutes down the road it stopped again. This time it comes on and off occasionally.

So, I have 3 radios that all experience the same symptoms, which I believe all 3 radios are in perfect working order. Is there some sort of amplifier or distribution block that all 4 speakers would be going through to cause this issue? It doesn't seem like wiggling the harness has much if any an affect on the the problem. Any ideas?
Old July 29th, 2010, 7:55 PM
CF Beginner

Default Shadow

I having the same problem too, I had also thought the radio had failed. I ordered a refurbished 6-cd stock radio to replace my single cd radio stock. That did not fix the problem. I checked all my fuses and they are ok. I have not gotten either to produce sound yet.
Old July 31st, 2010, 8:28 AM
CF Beginner

Default Aveo radio trouble

Hello,
My 2004 aveo has weird radio problem.

First it started with the audio making fading sounds. Now when i turn on the radio, the radio it self comes on, i can see the stations on the screen, insert a cd and get it out e.t.c but there is no audio at all. i turn up the volume and nothing. I checked the fuse by the door and its seems fine.

I hope someone can give me some clues.
Old August 1st, 2010, 6:22 AM
CF Beginner

Lightbulb Shadow

My car is still under warranty, after calling the dealer to see if they seen this problem before. So, I will update on 08/4/10 or 08/5/10 on how the appt went and the solution if found. Here is some suggestions in the mean time.

First be sure all fuses are good, both in car and under the hood, and be sure there is 12V power reaching radio-see radio for wire infomation. You can also check the resistance of the ground wires, but be sure the power is off and that one of your leads is at the battery -terminal. If the radio is ok, then either the wiring or one or more of the speakers failed, I would suspect. One method you can try, if you don't mind taking the door panels off, to get to the speakers;Make sure car is off. Acess the speakers and the radio wire plug. Unplug one of the speakers. Check for continunity or zero resistance on each wire from speaker plug to radio plug, the back of the radio tells you what each wire should be. If one or both wires do NOT have continuity-then you have an open and need to locate the open or run a new wire from the speaker plug to the radio plug for each wire that is open. If both show continunity, then check opposite wires to the same speaker-for instance have one probe on the -speaker wire at the speaker end and the other probe on the +speaker wire at the radio end-If you get continunity, then you have a short and either have to find the short along the wires or run a new pair of speaker wires from radio to that speaker.
If you don't have continunity, then the wiring to that speaker is ok. IF ALL speaker wiring is OK, then I would buy a cheap car radio speaker and try it in place of each of the speakers one at time to see if you get sound. While doing this I would leave All the speakers on the car disconnected.

I hope this helps, as soon as I see what the dealership finds I will share it.
Old August 11th, 2010, 8:02 PM
CF Beginner

Lightbulb Update, sorry I'm late.

The dealership had first tried another radio, and then finding the rear speakers to be bad. They replaced the speakers all under warranty. The regular aveo's have their speaker wiring and speakers exposed in the trunk, so it may be possible to damage the wiring or the speakers when loading the trunk. So I would check the wiring and speakers in the trunk first before checking the door speakers. Good Luck.
Old October 9th, 2019, 9:55 PM
CF Beginner

Default Power source problem

Originally Posted by blawson
My girlfriend has a 2007 Aveo and recently her stock radio quit working. The radio retains power as it is supposed to, but no sound comes out of the speakers, no AM/FM, or CD will play any sound from any of the speakers.

So I replaced it with an Aiwa unit and it was working when I had it on my lap while I was wiring it up. As soon as I put it in the dash and replaced all the panels it stopped working as well, with the exact same symptoms as the stock radio.

Thinking that maybe this radio was bad as well (it sat in my basement for a few years) I purchased a new JVC unit to put in. It wasn’t working either when I got it all wired up.

So just for fun, I put the Aiwa back in and it started working, then I took it out and put the JVC back in and it worked. I left the JVC in, in hopes it would continue to work, but less than 5 minutes down the road it stopped again. This time it comes on and off occasionally.

So, I have 3 radios that all experience the same symptoms, which I believe all 3 radios are in perfect working order. Is there some sort of amplifier or distribution block that all 4 speakers would be going through to cause this issue? It doesn't seem like wiggling the harness has much if any an affect on the the problem. Any ideas?
To me it sounds like it could be an alternator or battery issue ( probably alternator) not being able to keep up with your stereos power demand causeing it to shutoff