Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

Antifreeze in oil

Search this Thread

Old December 21st, 2017, 8:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antifreeze in oil

I'm so done with this car..I have a 2011 Chevy Aveo I have antifreeze in my oil and the reservoir smells like gas. I changed the spark plugs, oil, oil filter and valve cover gasket.
Please help....
Old December 21st, 2017, 11:09 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by April Villegas
I'm so done with this car..I have a 2011 Chevy Aveo I have antifreeze in my oil and the reservoir smells like gas. I changed the spark plugs, oil, oil filter and valve cover gasket.
Please help....
Head gasket is blown, or perhaps a head warped or a crack. Anti-freeze in your motor oil, and your engine bearings dont mix at all.

Either way the engine needs to have the head taken off and specked. It happens sometimes, no matter what brand of vehicle.

Take a sample of the motor oil to see if the bearing material is beyond reasonable limits. If so, you need to repair the engine or replace it.

Last edited by oilcanhenry; December 21st, 2017 at 11:13 AM.
Old December 21st, 2017, 12:41 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate to tell you this but you have a head or intake gasket leaking ! antifreeze in the oil is a good indicator that the head or intake gasket is leaking ! not telling you what to do but if you can afford it, put some Bars leak in the radiator, change the oil and throw a 4 sale sign in the window !
Old December 22nd, 2017, 4:20 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by bandit_601948
I hate to tell you this but you have a head or intake gasket leaking ! antifreeze in the oil is a good indicator that the head or intake gasket is leaking ! not telling you what to do but if you can afford it, put some Bars leak in the radiator, change the oil and throw a 4 sale sign in the window !
Could also flush all the antifreeze/coolant out, put the cheapest oil and filter on it and use K&N Block Sealer, using plain water. If that doesn't stop the leak, only disassembly of the motor and all the parts needed will do so. Chances are the bearing are already toast.