Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

ATF change

Search this Thread

Old October 8th, 2012 | 5:44 AM
CF Beginner

Default ATF change

My Wife owns a 2010 Chevy Aveo. Does anyone have any information on when the ATF and filter should be changed? I checked the owners manual (twice) and cant seem to find what I am looking for. The manual shows that in severe duty situations (ex: Taxi cabs) the ATF should be changed at 50,000 miles. What about regular driving conditions? Note: I have a 2008 Impala issued by my employer and the information that is printed in that manual shows a 100,000 recommendation. Thanks in advance.
Old October 9th, 2012 | 11:55 AM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by Dan Robertson
My Wife owns a 2010 Chevy Aveo. Does anyone have any information on when the ATF and filter should be changed? I checked the owners manual (twice) and cant seem to find what I am looking for. The manual shows that in severe duty situations (ex: Taxi cabs) the ATF should be changed at 50,000 miles. What about regular driving conditions? Note: I have a 2008 Impala issued by my employer and the information that is printed in that manual shows a 100,000 recommendation. Thanks in advance.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Dan Robertson,

Automatic transmission fluid level check is part of the services described for Maintenance II and should be performed when:

- Maintenance I was performed the last time the engine oil was changed.

- It has been 10 months or more since the change engine oil light has displayed or since the last service.

Check the automatic transmission fluid level at least twice a year. Add fluid if needed.

If you are unsure of the last maintenance, I recommend consulting with your local technician for additional assistance.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old October 9th, 2012 | 6:34 PM
CF Beginner

I check the fluid level on a regular basis. It was changing it that I was asking about, not checking it. I am very much less than satisfied with our local dealer where we purchased the car, to the point that I will never go back there so asking them for advice is out of the question.
Old October 9th, 2012 | 8:27 PM
Administrator

The owners manual is not real clear on the topic
but what I found at Chevy Vehicle Manuals and Videos | Owners Manuals | Chevrolet
page 7-7 is that under severe service is recommended at 50k miles, leading me to believe that at 100k would be normal but under 100k its not listed...
Attached Thumbnails ATF change-aveo-trans-service.jpg  
Old October 9th, 2012 | 9:55 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

90% of people drive in conditions considered severe service. Almost every car on the road should follow severe service. Google it for yourself and see.
Old October 9th, 2012 | 9:59 PM
Super Moderator

use the severe maint scedule reguardless. If you plan on keeping it along time, it's worth it to change it at 50 000 mile intervals.

If you live where the ambient temp reach 90'F; that's considered severe conditions anyway.

the auto trans rebuilders association states that 80% of trans failures are due to lack of maintenance. Trans fluid get hot and breaks down. Change it....whats 4-5 quarts of trans fluid in the long run.