Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

Daytime Running Lights (09 Aveo)

Search this Thread

Old February 10th, 2010, 5:20 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Daytime Running Lights (09 Aveo)

Is there an override switch for the DRL's? DRL should be a personal choice. I understand that it can save lives, but it should still be a personal choice. My Toyota had an override, what gives?
Old February 10th, 2010, 4:42 PM
CF Beginner

I have been wondering the same thing. I am in the military and we have to dim our lights when going on base and the DRL's are bright even at night. The only type of cut off for the DRLs that i have found is to pull up on the hand break just a bit and they will turn off which is not practical. I was thinking about wiring switch to manually shut them off when needed.
Old February 11th, 2010, 9:04 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by theclarkfam
I have been wondering the same thing. I am in the military and we have to dim our lights when going on base and the DRL's are bright even at night. The only type of cut off for the DRLs that i have found is to pull up on the hand break just a bit and they will turn off which is not practical. I was thinking about wiring switch to manually shut them off when needed.
that sounds like the best option to be honest. If you figure it out, could you post a guide on what you did when finished? thanks
Old February 11th, 2010, 3:02 PM
CF Beginner

I will do that. I won't be back home for a few more weeks so I will take a look at it then and see what can be done. I figure that it won't be that hard if I wire it off the hand break sensor.
Old February 12th, 2010, 1:28 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 98 Metro which also has the DRL. In our case there is a switch/relay that if you opened it you could put a piece of cardboard to stop it from making contact. This would shut off the DRL without using the hand brake.
Old February 12th, 2010, 2:03 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Oxxon
I have a 98 Metro which also has the DRL. In our case there is a switch/relay that if you opened it you could put a piece of cardboard to stop it from making contact. This would shut off the DRL without using the hand brake.

But wouldn't that shut them off all together????
Old February 12th, 2010, 6:15 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by theclarkfam
when i had to enter the post at night i just put on my parking lights..08 Aveo
Old February 12th, 2010, 7:14 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by desrtrat
when i had to enter the post at night i just put on my parking lights..08 Aveo
Do you have the DRLs?? I know on my '09 Pontiac G3(same thing), the DRL's come on as soon as you take the parking brake off. Nothing to do with the parking lights.
Old February 14th, 2010, 5:16 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rustyG3
Do you have the DRLs?? I know on my '09 Pontiac G3(same thing), the DRL's come on as soon as you take the parking brake off. Nothing to do with the parking lights.
i have the DRL's on my 08. mine when i'm driving i can turn on my park lights and the DRL's go out..mine the DRL's are a lower out put of the head lights, turn on park and it by passes the head lights..
Old February 14th, 2010, 7:43 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by desrtrat
i have the DRL's on my 08. mine when i'm driving i can turn on my park lights and the DRL's go out..mine the DRL's are a lower out put of the head lights, turn on park and it by passes the head lights..
Interesting. Mine they stay on no matter what you do. Running lights, or not etc.

Quick Reply: Daytime Running Lights (09 Aveo)