Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

Getting my 2009 Aveo LT Thursday!

Search this Thread

Old December 5th, 2009, 9:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting my 2009 Aveo LT Thursday!

Needles to say after the last car i had (2003 eclipse that was a BAD financing deal i got conned into) This will be my first current year car and im excited. I have a couple questions first, does the 2009 aveo have a passive anti theft system? Im getting a alarm/starter for my car and need to know if i will be asked to pay an additional $60. My second question, What are some cool interior mods for the aveo? Last question, the aveo i purchased was made in nov of 2009, i know some people had issues with the first batch, has chevy improved and fixed any bugs since it first came out?
Old December 7th, 2009, 10:26 PM
CF Beginner

I just bought a 2009 Aveo5 LT1 recently. The ignition key is a transponder key, which is big and bulky. You only get two keys when you buy the car. The car won't start without that specific key. They cost $150 to duplicate, so don't ever lose one.
Old December 8th, 2009, 7:48 PM
CF Beginner

My 2007 didn't come with any sort of anti-theft system in it, I'm not sure if the 2009s changed that or not. Ask the dealership or whomever you're getting the vehicle from if it has one or not. A Chevrolet dealership should know for sure if that's where you're purchasing it from.

As for the interior modifications, that really depends on what you're looking for. An Aveo will modify to the same degree as many other cars interior-wise. You can find a good deal of websites based around vehicle modification that will have parts you can put in there. However, there aren't many exterior modifications for the vehicle. I believe there's only two body kits that are actually made to fit an Aveo.

As for the problems, there are no reported recalls on the vehicle by the company that I can find. Other than that, Aveos seem to be a little notorious for problems with the electrical system when they get older and for interior door 'arm rests' coming loose as well as the less-complained about fact that the car tends to rattle at high speeds (excess of 75-80mph from my experience). I've had my 2007 Aveo5 LS for two and a half years now and I've had it taken to the dealership for little things such as the rod that allows the doors to be opened from the exterior falling off on the driver's side, the glass on my hatch rattling, etc.

They are a cheaper economical car, so the ride can be little rough on bad roads and the metal on them isn't very strong. (As I found out after grazing a pole that left a six foot dent down my right side) Also, beware of how hard you have to brake, I had to slam my brakes and swerve to avoid getting into an accident with another driver and the vehicle now needs to be taken back to the dealership to have the breaks and front alignment looked at and checked over for any serious damage.

A couple other little helpful bits of information to know are that the top speed of the vehicle is around 106mph for the 1.6liter engine and that the belts for the engine should be changed around 50-60k miles to avoid them snapping and causing serious engine damage.

Congratulations and welcome to the world of us Aveo drivers! I certainly hope you'll enjoy your car as much as I do mine. :]

Also, apologies on the massive post of doom.

Last edited by Zealsha; December 8th, 2009 at 7:52 PM.
Old December 9th, 2009, 6:55 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the only info. i know on the 09s is bad ECM. they will shut off and will never restart. dealers were trying to reflash them with no luck, needed to replace them. bad news is there are none in the US last i heard..
as for a after market alarm system it's your money, but i don't think Aveos are on the top of the most stolen vehicles list..

good luck..
Old December 10th, 2009, 3:35 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by desrtrat
i don't think Aveos are on the top of the most stolen vehicles list..
We certainly aren't stolen often, but you might have something in the car worth stealing instead. =P
Old December 13th, 2009, 12:04 AM
CF Beginner

My 09 Aveo had a problem with the ECM, It would shut off the engine and not allow it to be re-started, (it would re-start after 20 min) they reflashed the ECM, It works great now with no more problems. My car is the LT Limited edition (loaded) it does have a factory alarm, I have had some trouble with the alarm going off when I start the car, but they said it was just the hood switch.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 1:34 PM
CF Beginner

You need to watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WoULnNUC18
this is me! Look at all of my videos about this Aveo