Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

Help! Help!!

Search this Thread

Old April 10th, 2010, 7:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Help!!

I need help with my AVEO. I really need help!! I replaced the thermostat housing in my 2004 AVEO. It was a a simple installation but my car seems to be overheating. Is there a bleeder valve for the cooling system? I turned the heat and everything seemed to be running ok but it gradually started overheating. Could I have installed something wrong? Is there a specific way to install the thermostat?
Old April 15th, 2010, 9:42 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by BlackAVEO
I need help with my AVEO. I really need help!! I replaced the thermostat housing in my 2004 AVEO. It was a a simple installation but my car seems to be overheating. Is there a bleeder valve for the cooling system? I turned the heat and everything seemed to be running ok but it gradually started overheating. Could I have installed something wrong? Is there a specific way to install the thermostat?
I am not trying to make you feel bad but did you install the thermo upside down? I have never replaced one on these cars but I have on others and it was possible to do this.
There are a few other things that I can think of. First is that the thermo that you got may be set to a temperature higher than the spec's or sometimes autopart stores can give you the wrong part and the last is that it could be defective out of the box. I could be wrong all together who knows but this is mho
Old April 16th, 2010, 9:59 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by theclarkfam
I am not trying to make you feel bad but did you install the thermo upside down? I have never replaced one on these cars but I have on others and it was possible to do this.
There are a few other things that I can think of. First is that the thermo that you got may be set to a temperature higher than the spec's or sometimes autopart stores can give you the wrong part and the last is that it could be defective out of the box. I could be wrong all together who knows but this is mho
I asked someone who had experience on Chevy's and he said it was installed properly. The car is not overheating anymore. The temperature gauge settles just below the HALF mark. I think the radiator cap needs to be changed. I did a pressure test on the cap and the pressure didn't hold very well. Maybe this will help the problem.
Old April 24th, 2010, 5:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi BlackAVEO,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

The radiator cap is likely the source of your trouble to begin with. The system pressurizes automatically as you drive, so there's no bleeding or adjustment involved.The cap is springloaded, and surplus coolant goes to your overflow tank.The caps are so inexpensive that if you're in doubt you should just replace it. My personal preference, as well as all Federal Government motorpools, it the Stant brand. Don't panic if the system runs a little hot for a few miles, it takes a little time for the system to pressurize. Just keep a close eye on the overflow tank and refill it as the engine draws from it.

When you do a fluid check, to monitor your antifreeze, merely check the overflow tank. If it's low, add water or antifreeze there. Most systems call for a 50:50 mixture of water to antifreeze, I prefer 60 water to 40 antifreeze, except in very cold regions, where the slight increase in antifreeze is really necessary.

The temperature gauge sounds as if it's reading correctly.

Last edited by therewolf; April 24th, 2010 at 5:51 PM.
Old April 25th, 2010, 12:24 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by therewolf
Hi BlackAVEO,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

The radiator cap is likely the source of your trouble to begin with. The system pressurizes automatically as you drive, so there's no bleeding or adjustment involved.The cap is springloaded, and surplus coolant goes to your overflow tank.The caps are so inexpensive that if you're in doubt you should just replace it. My personal preference, as well as all Federal Government motorpools, it the Stant brand. Don't panic if the system runs a little hot for a few miles, it takes a little time for the system to pressurize. Just keep a close eye on the overflow tank and refill it as the engine draws from it.

When you do a fluid check, to monitor your antifreeze, merely check the overflow tank. If it's low, add water or antifreeze there. Most systems call for a 50:50 mixture of water to antifreeze, I prefer 60 water to 40 antifreeze, except in very cold regions, where the slight increase in antifreeze is really necessary.

The temperature gauge sounds as if it's reading correctly.
Thank you for your response,

I replaced the cap and the temperature guage is still in the same spot. Its not overheating but I still feel a little uneasy with the needle that high. What else can be done? I replaced the thermostat housing, thermostat and radiator cap. It doesn't overheat when I turn on the A/C and there are no signs of a milky residue in the oil. I don't know guys, this has my stumped. I am almost convinced the thermostat may be a little faulty. What do you think??
Old April 28th, 2010, 9:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The temperature gauges usually settle at or just before the halfway mark.

The design of these gauges is such that you should be able to see when your engine is running cold, such as when you just started it. The other reason they're set up that way is that racers only glance at gauges at high speeds, and it's easier if the gauge needles are all pointing in the same direction.

Some gauge needles are going to move to slightly different positions when the thermostat opens and closes. That's the sign of a sensitive gauge.