Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

Occasional shifting problems...

Search this Thread

Old February 3rd, 2007, 7:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Occasional shifting problems...

Hi, I am hoping that someone may know what the problem is... When I took the Aveo for a test drive prior to purchaseing, i noticed that it was hard to shift from 1st to 2nd, and then from 3rd to 4th. I mentioned this to the saleswoman, and she had a quick word with the service guys, and they said that if it persists, to bring it in. Anyway, I have now owned the Aveo for a week, I drove it to work Monday to Friday, with no noticable problems shifting. My wife decided to take it to an appointment today, and called me from the parking lot saying she had the same problem shifting as I did while test driving it. I told her i would take it in to have it looked at when she got home. She got home, and i asked if she was still haveing problems shifting, and she said that it wasn't as bad as when she went to her appointment. I then took it to my dealership, and found i had no problems shifting. The service guy said that unless i was having problems, there really wasn't anything he could do. Anyway, i drove around town with no shifting problems. Does anyone know if this is something that goes away? or is there something actually wrong with the car?

Any advice, and help would be greatly appreciated.

Shnail
Old February 5th, 2007, 12:53 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Occasional shifting problems...

Do you have an auto or a manual? Has it been cold where you live? For the auto trans, it's a pretty well-known problem that they don't like shifting from 3rd to 4th when it's cold. Not sure if the manual has the same problem.
Old February 5th, 2007, 1:54 PM
CF Beginner

hi, thanks for your response. i live on the west coast of BC, Canada. the weather has been a little colder than in the past. the car is a manual trans. anymore help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Shnail
Old February 6th, 2007, 12:10 AM
CF Beginner

I'd say start by keeping track of when you notice the problem. If it just happens randomly, you should really take it to the dealership and have them look at it. If it happens when you first start your car after leaving it in the cold for a while, I'd say that there's probably not much you can do about it.
Old February 6th, 2007, 3:43 AM
CF Beginner

ok, thanks for the advice. i will be sure to keep a journal of when and if it happens.

thanks