Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

oil pressure switch

Search this Thread

Old August 20th, 2019, 7:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pressure switch

My 2013 sonic, 1.8L with manual transmission has the oil light coming on when the rpm drops below 2000. I have know idea where I the pressure switch is in order to change it. I would like your help in locating it.
Old August 22nd, 2019, 3:04 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Fredneckj
My 2013 sonic, 1.8L with manual transmission has the oil light coming on when the rpm drops below 2000. I have know idea where I the pressure switch is in order to change it. I would like your help in locating it.
Your oil pressure sender is on the front passenger side of the motor. Unfortunately its located more or less behind the A/C compressor. Takes a 24mm socket if the compressor is moved out of the way, then its a piece of cake to remove and install a new one. Part is ACDelco Oil Pressure Switch #55581588.
Old August 23rd, 2019, 5:15 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switch location

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Your oil pressure sender is on the front passenger side of the motor. Unfortunately its located more or less behind the A/C compressor. Takes a 24mm socket if the compressor is moved out of the way, then its a piece of cake to remove and install a new one. Part is ACDelco Oil Pressure Switch #55581588.
Thank you. When I remove AC compressor will I have to discharge the system. I have looked in that area but I do not see anything. I assume the compressor would be hiding it, is that correct? Thank you very much for your time
Old August 23rd, 2019, 5:35 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Fredneckj
Thank you. When I remove AC compressor will I have to discharge the system. I have looked in that area but I do not see anything. I assume the compressor would be hiding it, is that correct? Thank you very much for your time
No problemo about the time. I don't own a Spark, but I looked it up online. If there is enough "wiggle-room" with the A/C lines to the compressor, you may be able to change it withot removing it the compressor, just unhook the belt,and disconnect the bolts holding it in the bracket, (three 13mm bolts) and any wires in the way.

Problem is that lots of vehicles these days don't come with long enough lines to do that, whereas in the past they usually did, but it's possible that the Sonic does. You should be able to see the sensor from the top. There may be enough room to catch it with a box-end wrench, if you can move the compressor as far as it will go without removing the A/C lines.

I'd hate to see you spend all the extra money having to discharge the A/C system's refrigerant, which in the US legally requires it to be done with a recycling machine at a shop, just to change a $12 dollar part that's easy to change, if it were located someplace else easy to get to. It's almost like it was designed to be like that, but perhaps not.