Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

Timing belt breaks in 2007 Aevo

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2012, 1:26 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt breaks in 2007 Aevo

My timing belt jusy stripped its teeth in my 2007 Aveo. The timing belt had about 36000 miles on it.(top of the line belt) I have yet to discover the total damage done to the engine and why the teeth stripped on the belt. Although I have had little trouble with my Aveo (total miles about 93000 miles) a timing belt should not break with 36000 miles on it and potentially trash the motor! Bad design, a belt that breaks prematurely and a motor where the valves slam into the pistons when it does break! Was there ever any recalls on this problem? I am not the only that has had this misfortune, as I have read it is a common compliant. You shoudn't have to change your timing belt every time you change your oil. What is worse I can't find a book to even work on this car! I would not have purchased this car if I had know it had this major problem. Not happy, to say the least. On inspection the Idler Pully bolt broke and the belt did not break but did have its teeth stripped off! How can that happen?

Last edited by jc323; May 2nd, 2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old May 1st, 2012, 10:42 AM
CF Monarch

Received 341 Likes on 322 Posts

Many manufacturers make an interference engine. 36,000 is low for a belt to fail unless something else went wrong with the engine. Try contacting the belt manufacturer for help if you have documentation..
Old May 1st, 2012, 1:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stripped timing belt.

Originally Posted by oldchevy
Many manufacturers make an interference engine. 36,000 is low for a belt to fail unless something else went wrong with the engine. Try contacting the belt manufacturer for help if you have documentation..
From what I can see of the timing belt the teeth have been stripped off, I am thinking something seized, tensioner perhaps? Still this is made to be a throw away car, I had Metro and I never ran into this problem or problems. With this car if you break the belt it self destructs and whats worse you can not get a book for it and parts are hard to come by. For instance the valves the very thing that gets smashed is a dealer part. This is a good way to chase away Chevy owners there is really no defense for what happened to my Aveo and other Aveos as this is a common problem. Chevy should have recalled Aveos for this problem, the thing is I don't know if there is even a possible solution. Update, turns out that the belt didn't break but the Idler Pully bolt did. This is the original bolt and Pully, very odd. How could that happen? (half of the bolt still in the head)

Last edited by jc323; May 2nd, 2012 at 11:04 PM.