Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

tyre sizes suitable for chevy aveo sedan 07-09?

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2010, 5:24 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tyre sizes suitable for chevy aveo sedan 07-09?

i'm a bit confused on the chevy aveo model i am having bcos i am from south east asia (Malaysia to be specific),

over here it is named as aveo 1.4 notchback sedan (SE) <- SE being the basic spec where there is higher specs like SX and LUX....i wonder what the initials all means.....SE for strd edition? well LUX stands for luxury i guess....what about SX? sexy? LOL

as i had been researching on the car in numerous websites, i see it is kinda the same and similar model in the states where it is actually a 2007-2009 aveo 1.6 LS/LT sedan

according to my registration, the car was built in 2006 but only registered upon purchase of the previous owner in 2008 august, that guy had driven 60,000 km on the car which converts to 37282miles...
that was when my wife bought it and it reaches our possession jan this year of was it dec last yr...cant recall exactly....

ok so back to the title....what are the suitable tyre sizes for this car?
i noticed in the passenger seat's compartment there is a sticker suggesting 185/60/R14 or 185/55/R15....
i looked at the brochures in the service centre and also the official chevy's website in my country, for SE it has R14 steel while SX and LUX has R15 alloy tyres.

But mine is a SE but all rims had been switched by prev owner to a R15 tyre.

when i had the car it was 185/55/R15 michelin tyres but it was kinda worn off...so we had switched all four tyres into bridgestone 195/55/R15 tyres as per recommended by the chevy centre here. but we had it done other shop since the official service centre for continental cars in this damn country charge super high compared to others....not to mention slow to respond to customers and never holds on to their promised timeline...it took them 5months now and haven't got a aircon compressor unit approved to be replaced for me (there was some problem with the compressor it seems)
the aircon blower seems blocked after 1/2hrs of drive at 120kmh(~75mph) speed. according to the service mech it's the air con compressor apparently, then had me waited months and havent solve my problem yet.....

anyway, just seeking fellow aveo sedan owners out there and see what kind of tyres u guys use,

and from the techies, what do u think is the suitable size of tyres for this car?

what actually is the pros and cons switching from 185/55/R15 into 195/55/R15?

looking forward to hear from u guys...

Last edited by raysky; May 19th, 2010 at 5:38 AM.
Old June 11th, 2010, 10:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TYPES OF TiRES

Go to tirerack.com .You'll see what type of tire are available for your Aveo you can compare the different tire. click on survey for each tire and see if the tires will measure up to what your looking for.