Spark Originally known as the Beat, , this Daewoo Matiz based 5 door hatchback is newest to the Chevrolet lineup

Chevrolet Spark

Strut mounts need replacing already?!

Search this Thread

Old January 10th, 2015, 5:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strut mounts need replacing already?!

Hi, newbie here :-)
I bought my first Chevrolet at the end of 2013- a 61 plate Spark. Love the car, it's perfect for what I need and so cheap to run and insure. I'm currently having issues though that have really surprised me.
When I bought it, there was a grinding noise from the ns front wheel area when it was on a full right lock.The dealership lubricated the upper strut mount area and the noise disappeared. 1st MOT and then service in September 2014- no problems. At the start if December 2014, my grinding noise is back. Went to the dealership who have diagnosed worn strut mounts so now they need to be replaced both sides. Dealership have declared wear and tear which is where my surprise comes in-the car is only 3 yr 3 mos old and has just 10k on the clock.
I've been driving for a long time and have never had this problem (had some cars for 50k+ miles and never seen this). What sort of thing causes this level of wear and tear? Please don't say my driving because it's never been an issue before ;-) Importantly, are there any steps I can take to avoid this happening again (yearly lubrication or something? ) It's a big bill so I want to do anything I can.
Cheers
Old January 11th, 2015, 7:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

If your under 3 years/36000miles it's under warranty. There should be no charge to repair this.
Upper strut bearings are near impossible to lubricate as they are enclosed in a race. Shooting lube down the strut mount is a cheap temporary fix. They should of been replaced from the start.

Last edited by tech2; January 11th, 2015 at 7:57 AM.
Old January 11th, 2015, 10:11 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car is just over 3 years old so out of warranty unfortunately. The dealership have said that the fault on November 2013 is unrelated to the strut mounts failing now, hence I have to cover the bill. I don't know if I'm remembering correctly but I thought back in 2013 that had said something about a bush slipping- I wasn't given any paperwork though so I'm not sure.
Is the strut mount not something that usually needs lubricating then? The garage said it was like any other moving part and needed ad hoc attention. I can't find anything comprehensive on the Internet to explain :-(

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate your time :-)