Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

'01 2500 ABS and Brake dash lights on

Search this Thread

Old August 31st, 2011, 8:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '01 2500 ABS and Brake dash lights on

New to me 2500. ABS and Brake warning lights come on together at seemingly random times. They go off if I shut vehicle down and jiggle the parking brake and make sure it is pulled completely up. Might come back on in 2 minutes or 20, but they seem to come back every time. Any thoughts or suggestions to trouble shoot this.

TIA,

Kirk
Old September 1st, 2011, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum...
Sounds like you might on the right track already if jiggling the parking brake makes a difference... check the switch and the wiring harnesses on and around the parking brake something may be binding, pinched or shorting....
Old September 1st, 2011, 2:33 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine does this too. it's likely the wheel speed sensors... nothing to do with the parking brake. try just cycling the key without messing with the parking brake. They should stay out until the next bump sets them off.

unless your loaded, get used to it... iirc it's about 600 per side. (not counting labor, again iirc)

mine will stay off for a month then light up every time I get in the damn thing...

Old September 3rd, 2011, 9:11 AM
CF Beginner

Check for codes in the EBCM (electronic brake control module), it is the head unit (computer) that sits on top of the ABS pump. Codes can be checked at the connector under the dash below the light switches, OBD-II connector. An OBD reader will not pull them, has to be an ABS code reader, Actron has one for 99.00 available at advanced auto.

Mine was doing the same thing, was a CO265 code, open relay in EBCM. Dealer can only get the completed unit, pump and computer around $1K. Remans are available for around $150. ABS Fixer.com, Modulemaster.com.

Brakes will work fine when lights are on, but you will not have ABS. ABS will work when lights are out. But the code will still be stored as historic.

If it is a wheel sensor issue the code reader will tell you that too. If you know someone with a GM Tech-2 scanner they can pull the codes for you, not sure what a dealer would charge to scan it.

Good luck.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 7:57 PM
CF Beginner

i was having the same issues with a 2004 avalanche. replace vehicle speed sensor. lights came on but not as frequently. i then disconnected the front passenger abs connection and placed some di-electric grease on the female end and then reconnected. been 700+ miles and no lights!
Old November 11th, 2015, 3:11 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kirkgrau
New to me 2500. ABS and Brake warning lights come on together at seemingly random times. They go off if I shut vehicle down and jiggle the parking brake and make sure it is pulled completely up. Might come back on in 2 minutes or 20, but they seem to come back every time. Any thoughts or suggestions to trouble shoot this.

TIA,

Kirk
Still have the dash lights problem? Solved mine, RSVP