Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

02 Suburban Console/Jump Seat Swap

Search this Thread

Old September 17th, 2012, 12:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 02 Suburban Console/Jump Seat Swap

I have a 02 Suburban and I need an extra seat. I have been researching and it seems that I may be able to swap my console out for a jump seat. Is this possible? Is it all that difficult? I'm due with our 7th child and I really want to add this extra seat rather than buy a full size passenger van. I love my Suburban and we won't always be in this vehicle together, but when we are, we need that extra seat. Another issue is that it would be a whole lot cheaper than buying a new car

I can snap a picture of my console if needed, but I have tan leather with stereo and cup holders in my console. What happens to the front? How will it give leg room, do you pull that lower half of the console out too? Is there a replacement or do I just lose the use of that area? It seems awfully tight to squeeze in another seat, but it would be awesome to have that option. Another thought, do I lose my arm rests on the front seats?

Thanks for reading, if you have the set up I'm after, do you have pics of what it would look like in mine? I'm open to trades or let me know if you have something that would suit my needs.
Old September 18th, 2012, 9:25 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not have the 9-passenger option, but since it looks like 100+ people have looked at your thread, thought I'd put in my $0.02 and offer what help I could.
I don't know about a jump-seat, but it looked like the 9-passenger option was part of the 2 front seats (or just one of them, driver side?). That option would take out the entire console, but preserve the function of an arm-rest by folding down the seatback when no-one is sitting there.
You lose the rear-seat audio controls if you have the premium sound system as well (don't recall if this is on the '02, is on my '06, my first Suburban, so I don't know all the differences between model years yet).