Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

02 Suburban Suspension/Steering Issue

Search this Thread

Old January 9th, 2012, 8:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Suburban Suspension/Steering Issue

Hi There from Down under.
We have a 02 Z71 Suburban here in New Zealand that we imported from Orlando 5 years ago.

Its done 150miles and we think its time for a bit of TLC.

We're wanting to replace all the bushes, springs, shocks, pretty much everything to do with the steering and suspension.

Does anyone know the easiest way to go about this?? I've had a look at parts.com and gmpartsdirect but there is so many parts!
I was hoping to find like a upgrade kit or similar where all the basics are included.
Or if anyone can give me a basic idea on what parts would be the best to replace, and if I should replace with GM or aftermarket.

Also the steering has developed a slight knock. When driving you can feel it in the steering wheel, any suggestions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Mike
Old January 9th, 2012, 10:45 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

I don't know of any rebuild kits for 'burbs and would recommend either GM or Moog suspension parts.

The steering knock is most likely the intermediate shaft. They used to relube them but now they replace w/ a new design.

Have some good memories of New Zealand from my two day stopover in '69 on the way back to the States after seven months off Vietnam. We were at Mount Maunganui and met some of the friendliest people on the face of the Earth. Beautiful country.

Good luck on your rebuild. Don't hesitate to ask questions as there are a lot of knowledgeable folks here.
Old January 10th, 2012, 9:05 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you should be able to find something that would replace all the suspension with upgraded/aftermarket parts, but usually involves a lift as well.