Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Torsion Bars or Steering/Suspension? Something more serious?

Search this Thread

Old September 27th, 2011, 3:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Torsion Bars or Steering/Suspension? Something more serious?

nevermind.

Last edited by HanoverRebelFF; September 27th, 2011 at 6:13 PM.
Old September 27th, 2011, 3:49 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Without reading this entire post, I'd suggest (after the first paragraph) jack up the front end (useing saftey) grab the wheel and see if it moves (shakes) if it does, I'd call loose or bad wheel bearings. The rotor shouldn't moveback and forth, the wheel is lugged to the rotor.
Old September 27th, 2011, 4:16 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by HanoverRebelFF
When I got back from DC, I jacked the front end up and couldn't see a damn thing wrong- no side to side tire movement, steering components had no play
...don't click on the thread if your not going to read it, and certainly don't give me your half a** opinion
Old September 27th, 2011, 5:50 PM
CF Monarch

2004 Tahoe, 4WD LS; Roughly 150K Miles.
Always done my own auto-work with the exception of tires and handling issues.

Current issue: Wandering badly-no particular direction, Feels as if lugs are loose (they are not), steering wheel feedback imbalance (easier to turn the wheel right, rather left; then switch and again and again- its getting old), and almost a feeling of it getting ahead of itself when going downhill.

Currently parked and not moving until I figure this out.

I had neglected my Tahoe due to the fleet of vehicles I owned pre-divorce, however post divorce since my ex-wife stole ("claimed" as she calls it) more than half of my cars I am now driving it more. When I first started using it as a daily, I noticed the steering/handling was very sloppy but still fitting under Chevrolet's Cadillac inspired/engineered handling and told myself it was fine just hadn't driven her in a while. When I finally started getting sick of it (a day later), I started poking around different components; felt like a dumb*** when I looked at the tires and noticed the steel starting to show. Embarrassed as h*ll I drove it up to my tire guy immediately and had him put larger 265 75 R 16 Pirelli Scorpions on it, had him preform a 4-Wheel Alignment, and had him do an overall quick inspection of most major handling components.

When I left the shop it finally drove like a dream, and reminded me why I had purchased it in the first place (lazy-boy on wheels). However, recently I drove to DC on a business proposal and noticed that the dreamy drive had disappeared, it started to wander all over 95 not just in on direction (rules out alignment in my mind) and was riding like my Porsche and its 2x4 Suspension. When I got back from DC, I jacked the front end up and couldn't see a damn thing wrong- no side to side tire movement, steering components had no play as far as I'm concerned (I've had pitman arm/steering box issues on my now ex-wifes Jeep YJ) and suspension parts all seemed to be solid.

However the problem has progressively gotten worse, however I have yet to hear the first slight noise from the front end or rear for that matter. Today, truly dumb founded I decided to get to the root of the problem jacked it up on the two post lift and started really digging in and paying attention to details, every last one.

What I found has got me in uncharted waters, and was hoping for some input.
1. The torsion bars, the two bolts that come down mid-frame are extremely un-even however I have only found a difference of 3/4" in the frame balance. I have adjusted torsion bars before but didn't want to touch them until I got an outside opinion

2. The bigger tires, called Pirelli and got the recommended PSI for the new size and reset the TPM (Was at 40? pirelli suggested 35); didn't help anything but make it more of a beast on the road to keep in the lane. I noticed the passenger front tire when sitting on the ground was cambering very odd, just enough for me to notice but not enough for anyone to go WTF, with the bottom inwards just ever so slightly vs straight or even outwards like my BMW. Hopefully the larger tires have not destroyed one of my favorite trucks, usually I would lift the truck and change the shafts and u-joints however daniel (the tire guy) said I would be fine - knowing I want things done right no matter the price.

3. Living in a rural area they don't often pave the roads for repair, rather re-surface them...I hate that s*** and anyone who participates in throwing a pile of tar, rocks and sand onto a road with a 55MPH speed limit can bite me. Anyways, I noticed a bad build of of this...stuff...all over the underside cleared a lot off the suspension and steering, took it for a short (I mean short) drive and nothing.

4. Lastly, and the last thing I noticed when my brother came over and turned the wheel for me. The one main boot where the steering components come out from the interior and into the engine bay looks as if something is bent/loosely connected and turning inside of it (obviously something is turning...just describing the best way possible) and the arm leading to the steering box looked a bit off, but not enough for my brother to notice of course he hit my old BRIGHT RED porsche smack in the rear and said "he didn't notice me". I did not have time to investigate and feel that this could be a large cause of the problems.

I'm stuck at the office on a conference call- caring so much about the call I'm writing this thread hoping someone can put in their two cents and help me out a bit with what I have found so far, lead me to things I need to inspect more carefully or in a different manner, or even call me a dumb*** and give me the real reason and cause of the issues; so I can get home and get her back on the road.
Now you want to wade through "My brother this and that, and I this and that, and yada yada yada"
GET TO THE POINT!
Beltway+Virgina+BMW=$$ take it to the dealer you got $$.
Old September 27th, 2011, 6:15 PM
CF Beginner

Smart money=not going to dealer

you jacka*s

to the point enough for your inability to comprehend?
Old September 27th, 2011, 7:08 PM
CF Monarch

you jacka*s

Well, lets see, hmm. Your setting with a broke car asking for help. Help was offered (maybe not reading through your epithany of a post), now you snap with such replies? I'd be willing to help, and yes it could be the torsion strut, those WILL when not working or worn out cause the exact problems you are having.
You can get better responses with less nasty replies.

Jack up the front of the truck, remove one end of the strut. If you are able to push/pull it by hand it is worn out, and that is a fairly inexspensive fix, easy to do it yourself. I hope this resolves your problem!
Old September 27th, 2011, 7:24 PM
CF Monarch

you jacka*s

I appoligize for my smart *** remarks. I went to send you a pm, but your not either accepting them, or membership isn't high enough. Again, as I posted previous with strut, that'd be my guess, and you can email me if I can further help. I am in the personal directory stuff. Best wishes!
Old November 7th, 2011, 3:17 PM
CF Beginner

Default Wheel Play

I just fixed this same problem with my 2002 Suburban LT. My passenger Wheel bearing assembly was SHOT!!! I jacked up the passenger side front tire and the tire wobbled in ANY direction 3-4 inches. Replaced with new wheel bearing assemblies and no more sporadic steering wheel movement.