Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

02 Tahoe - 60psi minimum running oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old October 8th, 2020, 3:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Tahoe - 60psi minimum running oil pressure

5.3L, very recent engine and trans complete rebuild. Is it normal for oil pressure to always hover around 60, only increasing upon acceleration? Engine temperature has no effect. Oil level is fine, no leaks.

Last edited by Sintek; October 8th, 2020 at 3:55 PM.
Old October 8th, 2020, 5:20 PM
CF Active Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

What type of new oil pump was installed? Stock or performance? My 2002 LT, that I recently sold, had 164k miles on it and at idle it was at 45-50 psi and climbed when accelerated.
The following users liked this post:
Sintek (October 9th, 2020)
Old October 9th, 2020, 4:27 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Sintek
5.3L, very recent engine and trans complete rebuild. Is it normal for oil pressure to always hover around 60, only increasing upon acceleration? Engine temperature has no effect. Oil level is fine, no leaks.
It's possible but not probable for engine oil pressure to stay the same PSI, but I've never seen that happen in my life. Likely a bad or defective oil pressure sensor or dash read-out. If you wish to know more you'll need to use a direct oil pressure gauge to the motor. If it does read 60 PSI and does increase as your engine reaches higher RPM's then you have an exceptionally great rebuild, and all of your bearings are in good, tight tolerances.

If all of that is correct you'll need to take it easy on the acceleration until your motor is completely broken-in for maximum lifespan and performance. Let it idle when cold for a time as well before you put it in gear.

Last edited by oilcanhenry; October 9th, 2020 at 4:36 AM.
Old October 9th, 2020, 4:49 AM
CF Active Member

I thought he did say it increased with acceleration? But @oilcanhenry is right, the only way to get a true idea is to put a mechanical gauge on it and see what it does. When you remove gauge and reinstall the oil sender I would just go ahead and install a new sender at that time. Like this one from AC Delco: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...380372&jsn=948

Last edited by PNW NBS Z71; October 9th, 2020 at 5:02 AM.
Old October 9th, 2020, 1:46 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the replies. Despite it not being a new engine, I've been careful to keep RPM well under 2000 along with gentle acceleration - it just seemed out of the ordinary to see the pressure gauge read nearly 75psi at ~1200RPM. Hopefully I find it's just the gauge.

Last edited by Sintek; October 9th, 2020 at 1:49 PM.
Old October 9th, 2020, 2:12 PM
CF Active Member

Thanks for the replies. Despite it not being a new engine, I've been careful to keep RPM well under 2000 along with gentle acceleration - it just seemed out of the ordinary to see the pressure gauge read nearly 75psi at ~1200RPM. Hopefully I find it's just the gauge.
I would hope it is the opposite. Hope it could be the sender instead. The only way to take all the guesswork out of the equation is to put a mechanical gauge on it and see what it reads. If you cannot do it, you should have it done and MAKE SURE the tech records the readings at idle and at different rpm's. Document, document, document.
Old October 9th, 2020, 2:35 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by PNW NBS Z71
I would hope it is the opposite. Hope it could be the sender instead. The only way to take all the guesswork out of the equation is to put a mechanical gauge on it and see what it reads. If you cannot do it, you should have it done and MAKE SURE the tech records the readings at idle and at different rpm's. Document, document, document.
I must have been thinking of something else as I recalled reading that replacing the sender is a labor-intensive job which includes removing the intake manifold. Replace it (DELCO only, I know) before the diagnostic?

Last edited by Sintek; October 9th, 2020 at 2:38 PM.
Old October 9th, 2020, 2:54 PM
CF Active Member

I must have been thinking of something else as I recalled reading that replacing the sender is a labor-intensive job which includes removing the intake manifold. Replace it (DELCO only, I know) before the diagnostic?
No. The diagnostic is done by removing the old sender attaching the mechanical gauge and getting the readings and then after you remove the oil pressure mechanical gauge/tool, you install a new sender instead of reinstalling the old sender. You do not have to remove the intake to get to the sender. It is tough to do because it is at the back of the engine but no intake removal is needed to do it. Check a few you tube videos to see what I am talking about.