Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

03 tahoe - reduced engine mode

Search this Thread

Old September 15th, 2017, 6:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 tahoe - reduced engine mode

How's it going? I am in serious need of some assistance . A friend of mine has a 2003 Tahoe 2wd 5.3l v8. It is going into reduced engine mode almost immediately after starting of vehicle and a short distance of driving (1 or 2 blocks at most) then shuts off. Then won't start for quite sometime. When stopped it has a rough idle and sometimes when shifting gears it dies.it has a brand new alternator and battery. Prior to this you would be driving and the all dash lights would come on and the doors would cycle through lock unlock lock randomly. A Chevy mechanic was told us that that BCM looked like it was going out. Would that cause all this or what should I look into? Don't have money to take it to shop but my friend has kids and is in a bind without her vehicle. Let me know. Thanks
Old September 20th, 2017, 6:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check/repair the ground strap at the rear of the engine. If fact, check all of the grounds. Had the exact same thing happen on my 03 Suburban.