Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

'03 Throttle Sensor

Search this Thread

Old January 25th, 2014, 9:18 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '03 Throttle Sensor

I just bought my '03 Suburban in November. It has a lot of miles it was probably a rental or something but is in excellent shape so far.

I am lovin' all of the electronics but I know that they can present problems which I would have no clue about.

It first started about 3 week ago when I took my wife to work and it was about 0 degrees and I got the "Reduced Engine Power" on the display so I limped along to a local dealer and they dumped the memory or whatever and it cost me about 75 bucks.

The other night I again went to pick up my wife ( I feel better driving her if I am able in this frigid weather). No sooner than I collected her it did it again so I got off the interstate and took the scenic route.

We stopped to pick up some food and I turned it off and restarted it and it quit doing it. The engine light was still on though.

When I started it yesterday morning the engine light was off and I had no problems all day.

I know this will probably need replacing but can it be effected by this cold weather?

Regardless I love this truck and hope that I will have it for a good long time.
Old January 25th, 2014, 3:39 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Welcome to the forum...
It could be cold related to the cold, I would clean and reconnect the electrical connection to the throttle body assembly, maybe its just a loose connection...
You may also want to have the throttle body cleaned as well....
this may or may not fix the issue but its a place to start...
Old January 25th, 2014, 3:40 PM
CF Junior Member

I have had this problem off and on too. But it has been a couple years now. I wiggled the wire harness at the throttle position censer pushing the wires into the connector and looking for any broken wires or any wire ends lose in the connector and the problem seem to stop. I have heard that a bad wire harness or lose wire in the harness connector can cause this problem. I have read that the break in the wire is usually at the connection to the throttle position censer at the throttle body. Try wiggling the wires or looking at them at the connector. I believe that there are 2 throttle position censer, 1 on the throttle body and 1 on the gas peddle. I believe the the 1 on the throttle body does not come off and the throttle body with the censer has to be replaced together.Try cleaning the connector with a wire connector cleaning spray. If you need to replace the throttle body and censer, price the wrecking yards.

Kelly
Old January 25th, 2014, 4:23 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gm has an extended warranty of 120,000 miles because of a faulty throttle position sensor. Your truck should have stored the codes. You can go to any parts store and borrow a code reader. Or the dealership can pull them and replace the sensor. This just happened to my truck and the codes the dealership got were p2219 and p2101.
Old January 25th, 2014, 4:35 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

check the catalytic converters as well, had a buddy with an 02 esky and that wat the cause for him. clogged cats especially with the mileage
Old February 1st, 2014, 11:05 PM
CF Beginner

I had the same issue a year ago, dealer quoted me $690 to replace throttle body as the sensor is internal on 2004 model. I passed and decided to fix myself. I cleaned throttle body and checked wires, did not fix it. Did notice that the harness was already a replacement and not original. What did fix it was a new fuel filter. It was so clogged that it was causing an issue with the air fuel mixture. As soon as I replaced my truck would barley run, had to drive it in limp mode until the comp relearned. Been good for a year now.