Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

'04 Autoride problems

Search this Thread

Old October 5th, 2008, 6:50 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '04 Autoride problems

The Autoride on my '04 has failed. The compressor failed about 8 months ago and now I have a "clunking" coming from the driver's side rear shock absorber and the boot surrounding it appears torn. The ride quality has also deteriorated noticably.
First, what does Autoride do? I know it manages the load levelling rear suspension, but does it also affect ride quality during everyday everyday driving? If it does manage the ride, would it still have been working even with the failed compressor? The replacement compressor is about $500 and the Autoride rear shocks are also $500 each so by replacingthese 3 parts I'm into somes pretty serious $ with no guarantee it is all fixed (there are alot of sensors and wiring connected to the suspension).
I can live without the auto load-levelling. What if I just replace the 2 rear shocks with good quality Monroes specified for non-Autoride 'burbans? Will they fit? I assume this would improve the ride just by removing the blown rear shock for much less $.
Any advice??
Thanks.
Old October 6th, 2008, 11:15 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: '04 Autoride problems

check arnottindustries dot com for your suspension system. cheaper than dealer.

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...2238149&EDATE=
Old October 12th, 2008, 6:12 AM
CF Beginner

Thank you for the tip. I will order the shocks & compressor, give it a try and report on results.
Regards,
Old October 19th, 2008, 3:29 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow, that makes me nervous about a new truck w/the autoride... i hate it when parts fail! let me know... an 04 isn't that old, but obviously out of warrenty... if it were me, I'd scrap the autoride, and just bolt on some 'normal' shocks...
Old November 2nd, 2008, 1:58 PM
CF Beginner

you cannot just put a regular shocks in them (autoride option) your DIC will display to "service autoride". if you go that route, have your bcm reprogrammed ( not to include the rtd z55 option i guess).