Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

05 Suburban Brake/Reverse Lights

Search this Thread

Old August 27th, 2010, 6:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Suburban Brake/Reverse Lights

Hello Forum,
This is my first post after having been lurking as needed. My problem seems common, but the solution still evades me. My first indication that I had a problem was on a road trip where the cruise control would not come up at all. I just thought I would look into it when I returned home, but as I found out that was a byproduct of my brake/reverse lights not working. I stopped at a rest stop and checked my fuse panel and when all looked good continued on my way. (Probably the full 800 miles with no brake lights! Yikes!) So, I have replaced the brake light switch w/ new, as well as the multi function switch w/ new. All fuses and bulbs are fresh. The battery was disconnected several times with these replacements. My third light was not functioning prior to this event so no help there. All other running, turn, flash, fog, headlight and accessories seem to work properly. The only issue is the brake and reverse, and the interior dome which may be related. Door courtesy lights work fine as do all other switchable overhead lights. I have tested the blue (running light) wires at the lamp with a test light and they are getting power, but nothing at the brown wire. I have read here that there may be an issue at the ground, but I am not sure about where this ground is located on the frame or body. Sorry to be so wordy. Trying to provide as much relevant info as possible on the first go round. All advice is appreciated! Have a great day guys! Mark B

Last edited by Mark B; August 27th, 2010 at 6:38 PM.
Old August 30th, 2010, 2:40 PM
CF Beginner

Default Double-check fuses?

To satisfy my own curiosity, did you check the TCB2 (I think it's that one) fuse in the left dash? I know that is tied in with the dome lamps. Might be related to your issues here as well?

--I know you have replaced everything but that fuse is easy to overlook and I missed it when diagnosing a dome lamp issue.

Last edited by aking0408; August 30th, 2010 at 2:41 PM. Reason: Clarify
Old August 30th, 2010, 8:43 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Welcome to the forum.
Old August 31st, 2010, 9:51 AM
CF Beginner

Default Thanks!

aking0408,

That fuse was bad, and did correct the dome light issue, but unfortunately, it didn't correct the brake or reverse light problem. I thank you for your input! It's great to have a forum like this!

Thanks for the welcome!
Mark B