Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

06 Suburban , no sound through DVD help

Search this Thread

Old November 15th, 2010, 8:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 06 Suburban , no sound through DVD help

I just got an 06 Z71 Suburban. LOVE it ,but can not get sound through the flip down DVD . Does it have to have wireless headphones or will it play through the speaker system./ Also the Nav systems asks for a DVD? What's it need to work? Thank you!!
Old November 15th, 2010, 2:48 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

The Navigation system in your vehicle would be DVD based. If your vehicle did not come with a DVD in the navigation system then you will have to get one from your dealership. I also checked up on your owners manual and see the steps to listen to a DVD through the radio. What you would do is if the Rear seat system is on and a dvd is loaded/playing then you would hit cd/aux until the RSE appears on the radio and from there the DVD sound should come through your speakers. If this doesn't work for you then I would suggest you have the vehicle checked to eliminate any possible issues with this system. I hope this information helps you.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old November 15th, 2010, 9:03 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

ArabianFancy: Welcome to the forum. Let us know how it works out.

Jeff: Thanks for the quick response.
Old November 16th, 2010, 4:34 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you so much . Finally got sound through the speakers ( then this forum would NOT let me log back in so I had to set up a new profile!) This will help keep the kids entertained on the long ride to the football playoff game Friday night!!
Old January 16th, 2011, 8:01 PM
CF Beginner

question? just bought 06 suburban and cant figure out hoe to get rse wireless headphones to work. ive replaced the batteries and all i get is static. the dvd will play through all speakers by hitting aux button and will play thru wired headphones but not the wireless. any suggestions?
Old January 16th, 2011, 9:20 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

check to see if you headphones have a channel select switch on them, if so try the other channel.
Old January 16th, 2011, 9:39 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Also you have to have them to the rear of the overhead unit as the emitter is on the back side. IOW you have to be in the 2nd or 3rd row seats.
Old January 20th, 2011, 4:31 PM
CF Beginner

thanks for your replies .

ive tried changing the channels and still nothing. when i tried to get them to work i was in the second row and i tried the third (just for giggles) and still nothing. i have no idea. when i bought it they said that the guy never used them and they look brand new. still had what i assume were factory batteries in them. i dunno. but i do know that i have a road trip comin up with 3 young kids and i need these to work.
Old January 21st, 2011, 7:48 AM
Administrator

Its a shotgun approach but try disconnecting the battery for about 10 min so that everything resets in the vehicle....
if all else fails your rear entertainment should have aux out ear phone jacks that you can plug wired headphones into, you'll need a splitter for the 3rd set of headphones but it should get you covered until you can get the kinks worked out of the wireless set.....
Old January 21st, 2011, 7:52 AM
Administrator

2006 Chevrolet Chevy Suburban - 2WD | Avalanche, Escalade, Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon (VIN C/K) Service Manual | Document ID: 1468580
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Video Entertainment System Wireless Headphone Malfunction
Diagnostic System Check - Entertainment System
Always perform the Diagnostic System Check before proceeding with these diagnostic procedures. Refer to Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle in Vehicle DTC Information.

Important: The following information lists the most probable cause of the concern to the least probable cause followed by the appropriate test for that condition. If the list leads to the replacement of a component, always inspect for a poor connection before proceeding with the replacement. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Important: The following conditions assume that both left and right audio channels in the wireless headphones are inoperative in all rear seat entertainment modes.

Discharged batteries in the wireless headphones--Check for poor battery condition even if the power indicator light is illuminated on the earpiece.
Inoperative infra-red receiver in the headphones--Test the system with a known good set of headphones. Replace the headphones if necessary.
Inoperative infra-red transmitter in the digital video disc (DVD) player--Replace the DVD player. Refer to Video Disc Player Replacement .
Important: The following symptoms apply only to the dual screen Platinum ULT Video Entertainment System.

Audio Distortion in the Wireless Headphones
Right or left audio signal (+) open or shorted to battery positive voltage--Test the appropriate right or left audio signal (+) for an open, short to ground, or a short to battery positive voltage. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.
Inoperative speaker in the headphones--Test the system with a known good set of headphones. Replace the headphones if necessary.
No Sound from Wireless Headphones
If neither headphone speaker has sound, the audio common circuit may be open. Test the audio common circuit for an open. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.
If only one headphone channel has no sound, the right or left audio signal (+) may be shorted to ground. Test the appropriate right or left audio signal (+) circuit for a short to ground. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.
© 2011 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

Rear Seat Audio (RSA)
The audio portion of the rear seat audio controller provides dual audio source capability from the vehicle audio system.

When in use, the audio portion of the controller enables rear seat occupants to listen to a different music source than the front seat occupants. The audio volume at each headphone is independently controlled by the rear passengers. A VF display in the center of the controller provides graphic communication to the rear seat operator the state of various rear audio functions. The dual source mode functionality is an embedded feature of the compatible radio receiver. Primary radio controls always have control of the front speaker outputs. Primary radio mode control is not affected by the operation of the rear audio control and always has priority over the rear audio control.

The front seat occupants have the capability to override and disable the rear audio controller operation through the primary radio controls. An ignition cycle also causes the rear audio to default to the OFF state.

Even when the primary radio is powered OFF, shutting off all speakers in the vehicle, the RSA controller functions are available. The rear passengers can still listen to any available audio source through the headphones.

The controller shall have 2 stereo volume controls to vary the audio volume to the headphones. For each headphone, one element will provide the variable load to the left audio output and the other element will provide the variable load to the right audio output.

Last edited by in2pro; January 21st, 2011 at 7:56 AM.

Quick Reply: 06 Suburban , no sound through DVD help