Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

07 burb ltz tire wear

Search this Thread

Old March 23rd, 2013, 7:56 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 burb ltz tire wear

I was checking my tire pressures yesterday, and I noticed that the right front tire has worn to the point that the cords are showing. All of the tires have had nice even wear up to this point but this one is now junk. it is worn on the inside edge only. I already have new control arm bushings I was planning on installing next weekend but now I'm thinking I may need some more parts to fix the problem causing this wear. Maybe new ball joints. Any other ideas fellas?
Dan
Old March 23rd, 2013, 9:13 AM
CF Active Member

Dan,

It sounds like you require a front end alignment. Have you hit something on this side of the vehicle. The excessive inter tire wear is a result of your camber being off on the truck. Too much negative camber will cause the problem, you describe. While the truck is in the shop ask them to diagnose the problem. It is possible that you have other issues that need to be addressed. They will check ball joints, wheel bearings, tie rod ends, steering rack and all steering components to make sure that all is working properly.

Please find attached an image of common tire wear problems.
Attached Thumbnails 07 burb ltz tire wear-tire-wear-problems-alignment-s.jpg  

Last edited by mulmur1; March 23rd, 2013 at 10:12 AM.
Old March 25th, 2013, 7:09 PM
CF Beginner

Brad,
Thanks for the reply. It's obvious the camber is off because of the tire wear. The question is what caused it. Thankfully I found the problem yesterday when I took off the tire for an inspection. The ball joints are good, tie rod ends are tight. The sway bar end link is broken. New parts on order. Then front end alignment, and new tires.
Dan
Old March 25th, 2013, 9:53 PM
CF Active Member

Dan,

I am glad that you found the problem. Based upon your description, it is good that you got this resolved.

Hopefully the parts will arrive soon.
Old March 25th, 2013, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 512 Likes on 472 Posts

was the tire wear feather edged/saw-toothed?

think about it, a swaybar with a broken link does nothing to change alignment angles. If fact, even one with 2 good links; driving straight...it should exert no force what so ever.

your alignment print out of the before settings will tell the tale.

Last edited by tech2; March 25th, 2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old March 26th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, it's good that you're fixing the SBar, but that front end alignment is what's going to fix your wear problem
Old March 26th, 2013, 7:28 PM
CF Beginner

No the wear was not "saw toothed" it was as smooth as a baby's ***. Except for the fact that it was into the cords.
FYI I live in Michigan, and Tavel 50 miles each way to work. On the finest cold patch back roads that are around.
Trust me everything is tight and in good repair, the end link was the only issue.

I love how a broken bolt and a few weeks of inattention can ruin a tire with maybe 10-15 thousand miles on it still.
Now I am left with a $40.00 parts bill. A 50.00 alignment bill, and a thousand dollars for new tires.
Good thing I have a well equipped tool box, and the ability to work on my own vehicles. Otherwise I couldn't afford to own a vehicle like this.
Dan
Old March 27th, 2013, 3:51 PM
Super Moderator

Dan,

Just want to point out, that the Site has several Sponsors who sell tires.
Their prices are VERY reasonable, and they have contact installers in your City, that can mount the tires for you.
Many people take advantage of this reduced pricing, and are able to buy a much better grade Tire, if one just wants to spend about the same, as they would for a local purchase.

One (not the only) of the Sites well established Sponsors is...
Tires at Tire Rack
Old March 27th, 2013, 5:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 512 Likes on 472 Posts

if the alignment only cost $50; they only adjusted the toe setting. I guarantee that was your problem.

Last edited by tech2; March 27th, 2013 at 5:45 PM.
Old March 27th, 2013, 11:57 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tech2
if the alignment only cost $50; they only adjusted the toe setting. I guarantee that was your problem.
I haven't had the need for a "complete" Front End Alignment in a while, how much is the going price for that now ?
(assuming there's a dealership flat rate ?)

Quick Reply: 07 burb ltz tire wear