Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

07 Suburban acceleration problem

Search this Thread

Old July 15th, 2013, 5:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Suburban Accelaration Problem

My wife is having similar issues with her vehicle. Twice in past 5 months her vehicle has accelerated on its own. Once in the drive thru at CVS and another time in the middle of an intersection. The dealerships I have taken it to claim there is no problem and that they can't recreate the problem. Fortunately, there hasn't been an accident. I am a lawyer myself and am comtemplating taking legal action against GM based on these problems.
Old July 15th, 2013, 9:51 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

djazotea,

I am sorry to hear that your wife is having issues with her Suburban. If you private message us your name, VIN, mileage, and dealership we can look further into your concerns.

Thank you

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old January 10th, 2015, 7:23 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2007 Suburban acclerated

Curious if anyone else has had this happen to them. While on the freeway I accelerating to get going at the correct speed.The suburban just kept getting faster with out my foot on the gas! I tried to brake and it for a split second the engine hesitated but really did nothing. The RPM was over 5 and climbing along with my speed and the engine was so loud.I kept both feet on the brake and pushed with all my strength.The vehicle made a grinding noise bad. I was able to get to the shoulder safely and finally hit the car in park even though I was not at a complete stop-it was literally not going to stop.The worst experience ever-not mention how lucky that I was on an interstate that at this point I was able to get onto a shoulder.Another mile and I would have not been able to get over.Any help or advise??Thank you.
Old January 10th, 2015, 9:32 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

You can always put it in Neutral or turn the engine off. Contrary to what another poster claimed, the engine cannot over power firmly pressed functional brakes. I can attest to this as I recently had a "floor mat" incident.

Can't really comment on your experience but you might get scanned for any codes.

How did you fix the problem?
Old January 11th, 2015, 5:22 PM
CF Beginner

This happened this past week so the Suburban is at the dealership. Of course now I realize neutral would have been ok to have put it into,but at the time that did not hit my brain! I again am so grateful that I had a place on the interstate to pull off to-another mile and I would have been more into the city where the shoulder is not much to mention!
We are not expecting them to find anything-especially after reading through this site and others. We have had nothing but Chevys since we have been married and we have loved them,but this type of thing should not happen! It does not need to be a death or any type of accident to occur before they find something.Lucky the WSP trooper had had a call in that I was going very fast and when he pulled up behind me a few minutes later and talked with me he could not have been nicer! He was very positive that I got off the road safely for myself and for others on I-5.Poor guy I was crying and he was probably wanting to get back into his patrol car and leave me there!!
Old January 12th, 2015, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

bug419 Glad to hear that everything turned out okay, I would get your vehicle into the shop to have it evaluated, I would be very detailed in your descriptions as they may be able to recover such information as the tachometer reaching 5k rpm as well as the ABS activation...
Are you the original owner of the vehicle or is it new to you? reason I ask is its possible that a previous owner could have had a tune installed, not that a tune would cause that but its something to keep in mind when dissecting an event...
FYI if the vehicle does have an aftermarket tune, its likely to be fingered as a possible cause...
Old January 13th, 2015, 9:18 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks!Yes we are the original owners. Of course the dealership called last night and found the Suburban fine! Really makes my heart feel great- Scared to every let me child drive it.Not sure what to do.Just hope and pray they are right and that this rill not happen when I am in Seattle when there is no shoulder or when there card right in front of me that my car pushes into another.I will follow the threads here to see if anyone has another issue similiar.Thank you for your input.
Old January 13th, 2015, 1:24 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Don't forget that if it occurs again, you can always put it in neutral and/or turn the key off.
Old May 21st, 2015, 9:01 AM
CF Beginner

Default acceleration when braking

Did this get resolved for you? Thus happens in my 2008 Tahoe Hybrid. It happened to my friend in her Sequoia and hit a pole, so I made sure I reported it to GM. They contacted me and wanted me to get it to a dealer. They are telling me it's a brake switch and it's $300!! I know that's not it. this vehicle has had so much work done on it it was three pages worth of information when the new service Tech was looking over my records. So frustrating!!
Originally Posted by kerogers7767
I had a similar occurrence on June 15, 2012. My wife came up to a stop behind several other cars. Suddenly, the Suburban accelerated forward, and even though she kept pushing the brake, the truck kept accelerating into two other cars. The was significant damage. I took the truck into Chevy and the ran a full set of diagnostics on it which came back with no evidence of failure. This included checking the valve body for clearance and lack of binding. They could not replicate the action of surging/accelerating. My wife's mother was with her and attests that her foot was on the brake. This is now a matter of legal responsibility for the accident, which I suggest is due to a computer failure or perhaps an errant TBS input to the computer that caused it to accelerate. It was a hot day (104F) and the A/C was on. The truck didn't appear to be overheating and the brakes checked out as being within acceptable tolerances. Can someone suggest what happened and get back to me. My wife is fearful to drive the vehicle lest it take off on her again, let alone the cost for the repairs and the insurance premiums due to the crash which is presently blamed of her! Please Help!!!
P.S. The Chevy has sufficient torque to overcome firmly applied brakes...its called power braking and all the kids like to do it to burn out. And once the vehicle starts rolling, the level of grip from the brakes is less than if the vehicle is completely stopped. Physics. I have done this with other vehicles.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 12:08 PM
CF Beginner

Default Reverse Problem

I have a 2001 Chevy Tahoe that is having the opposite issue. After leaving a stop light, sometimes it gets in a slow motion "turtle" mode. At first, I was able to get it out of this mode by applying the brakes and coming to a complete stop. Recently, I have discovered that if I hit the traction round button on the left side of my panel that it will kick it out of this mode. I had a mechanic look at it this morning and he doesn't know what would cause this. He thought mechanical perhaps. It especially does it when I am on bumpy (uneven) pavement. It seems to be fine when I am on the open road......just does it when I am stopping and starting up again. Any thoughts?

Quick Reply: 07 Suburban acceleration problem