Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

07 Suburban acceleration problem

Search this Thread

Old March 8th, 2011, 1:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Suburban acceleration problem

I have had two incidents with my suburban in the last year. The first time I hit a pole in a parking lot. In the suddenness and confusion of the incident I assumed my foot slipped off the brake pedal. Last week I hit my house and the garage door. In both cases I was going fairly slow. In the latter case, I was trying to stop in order to put the car in reverse. When I stepped on the "brake pedal" the car lurched forward. Though stunned, but because I had enough time, I distinctly remember moving my foot (and leg)to the left to hit "the brake", yet the car continued into the house. The car will be looked at by the adjuster tomorrow (March9th). If anyone has any idea that this has been a problem for others or how to proceed to determine if the car has any problem, I would really appreciate it.
Old March 8th, 2011, 3:15 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Suburban07, could you keep me up to date on the proceedings at the dealership tomorrow? I would like to make sure I do what I can to assist you. Thank you.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old March 8th, 2011, 3:39 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

If there's nothing wrong w/ ur brakes, then something doesn't make sense as the engine can't overcome firmly depressed brakes. Ask Audi and Toyota.

Last edited by 73shark; March 8th, 2011 at 3:44 PM.
Old March 8th, 2011, 4:07 PM
CF Beginner

To Chevy Service: Yes I will post. The car is at an autobody place.
Old March 8th, 2011, 4:09 PM
CF Beginner

To 73 Shark: I am not sure what the problem could be. I just don't have any idea of how to begin to diagnose or if I'm explaining the problem correctly.
Old March 8th, 2011, 4:37 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

I thought you said that the truck moved w/ the brakes engaged. As far as I know, that can't happen unless the brakes are defective.
Old March 30th, 2011, 7:51 PM
CF Beginner

I just posted a thread about my 2007 Suburban. I'm trying to install a GM transmission cooler and am having issues sneaking the long transmission line that came in the kit between the frame, engine, and chassis parts. Is there a trick to doing this? Do I need to drop the exhaust y-pipe to make room? Hope you can help me,, the instructions are very vague and don't make mention of any intall tips for the lines/
Old March 31st, 2011, 8:55 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

No you should not have to remove anything except the old line...
give this a read and see if it helps

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tah...install-35484/
Old June 28th, 2012, 12:58 AM
CF Beginner

Angry 07 Suburban uncontrolled acceleration

I had a similar occurrence on June 15, 2012. My wife came up to a stop behind several other cars. Suddenly, the Suburban accelerated forward, and even though she kept pushing the brake, the truck kept accelerating into two other cars. The was significant damage. I took the truck into Chevy and the ran a full set of diagnostics on it which came back with no evidence of failure. This included checking the valve body for clearance and lack of binding. They could not replicate the action of surging/accelerating. My wife's mother was with her and attests that her foot was on the brake. This is now a matter of legal responsibility for the accident, which I suggest is due to a computer failure or perhaps an errant TBS input to the computer that caused it to accelerate. It was a hot day (104F) and the A/C was on. The truck didn't appear to be overheating and the brakes checked out as being within acceptable tolerances. Can someone suggest what happened and get back to me. My wife is fearful to drive the vehicle lest it take off on her again, let alone the cost for the repairs and the insurance premiums due to the crash which is presently blamed of her! Please Help!!!
P.S. The Chevy has sufficient torque to overcome firmly applied brakes...its called power braking and all the kids like to do it to burn out. And once the vehicle starts rolling, the level of grip from the brakes is less than if the vehicle is completely stopped. Physics. I have done this with other vehicles.

Last edited by kerogers7767; June 28th, 2012 at 1:06 AM. Reason: post script addition in response to other posts
Old June 28th, 2012, 8:03 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by kerogers7767
I had a similar occurrence on June 15, 2012. My wife came up to a stop behind several other cars. Suddenly, the Suburban accelerated forward, and even though she kept pushing the brake, the truck kept accelerating into two other cars. The was significant damage. I took the truck into Chevy and the ran a full set of diagnostics on it which came back with no evidence of failure. This included checking the valve body for clearance and lack of binding. They could not replicate the action of surging/accelerating. My wife's mother was with her and attests that her foot was on the brake. This is now a matter of legal responsibility for the accident, which I suggest is due to a computer failure or perhaps an errant TBS input to the computer that caused it to accelerate. It was a hot day (104F) and the A/C was on. The truck didn't appear to be overheating and the brakes checked out as being within acceptable tolerances. Can someone suggest what happened and get back to me. My wife is fearful to drive the vehicle lest it take off on her again, let alone the cost for the repairs and the insurance premiums due to the crash which is presently blamed of her! Please Help!!!
P.S. The Chevy has sufficient torque to overcome firmly applied brakes...its called power braking and all the kids like to do it to burn out. And once the vehicle starts rolling, the level of grip from the brakes is less than if the vehicle is completely stopped. Physics. I have done this with other vehicles.
I'm sorry to hear your wife experienced this issue. Would you please PM me the last 8-digits of the vehicles VIN, so I can look into this further for you?

Louis
GM Customer Service

Quick Reply: 07 Suburban acceleration problem