Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

07 Tahoe battery question

Search this Thread

Old February 18th, 2010, 9:50 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a Yellow top in my other car (high power system) and it only lasted about 2 years. I really never used it much to power with the car off either. It seemed to not start the engine as good as a regular battery (I may have got a bad yellow top though).
Basically due to the draw the Tahoe pulls when the key is in ACC do you think any battery is that much better than the other? I mean what does the Red top do better than the Yellow? There seems to be a lot of hearsay about each on the web.

I guess you like your Bosch battery?
Old February 18th, 2010, 10:07 AM
CF Active Member

I used a pair of Red Tops in my Dodge/Cummins diesel, and immediately noticed a difference in cranking speed; it cranked slower, and took longer for the grid heaters to cycle before I could crank. I don't know for sure, but my guess is the internal resistance of the Optima AGM batteries higher than a flooded cell. Optima had problems with Yellow Tops for several years, so it's possible you got one of the bad ones. Many people give them a bad rap becausee of that incident. Optima batteries have some advantages over flooded cell batteries, They're clean, they don't outgas, are relatively long lasting, less prone to vibration issues, and can be oriented at odd angles without a problem. But IMO, dollar for dollar, you can't beat a flooded cell battery. If you go to a marine store, you can fine flooded cell batteries with a high reserve capacity (aka. deep discharge battery). ...and yes, my Bosch is doing fine so far. I would hve preferred Interstate, but Pep Boys didn't carry it, and I was in a jam with a stone cold OEM battery that would no longer hold a charge.

Last edited by Hardin Thicke; February 18th, 2010 at 10:09 AM.
Old February 18th, 2010, 10:17 AM
CF Senior Member

ok cool, I will probably get the best battery I can get at the local auto parts store and not worry about getting an Optima. I am sure my current OEM battery is pretty tired anyway.
thanks again
Old February 18th, 2010, 11:46 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ousig2408
ok cool, I will probably get the best battery I can get at the local auto parts store and not worry about getting an Optima. I am sure my current OEM battery is pretty tired anyway.
thanks again
My 07 Hoe had 35000 and the battery kept dying so I complained enough times to my dealer that they finally replaced it under warranty. Now it has 41000 and the other day I was listening to the radio for 15-20 minutes and the engine barely started. I might just buy a cheap spare to strap in the other tray for a jumper. I agree with some of the other post's that there is just too much stuff drawing current while the key is in the accy position. My dealer also told me to either leave the keys all the way pushed in or pull them out completely when not in use for extended periods.
Old February 18th, 2010, 12:40 PM
CF Senior Member

I wonder if other newer/higher end vehicles with all of this equipment on them have these kind of issues? You would think the computer would not need to fire up all of the sensors and other stuff just when you open the door or it would at least be "smart" enough to turn them all off after a minute or so if you just have the door open and radio on...oh well