Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

07 Tahoe going back to GM

Search this Thread

Old February 9th, 2007, 4:37 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Tahoe going back to GM

Just thought I will post this after all my posts with various different issues with my 2 month old Tahoe with 1700 miles. Loose trim pieces were replaced with exceptions of some. Noise in dashboard was troubleshooted for two weeks straight and "repaired" by spraying Dynamax coating on the inside of the fender. While it eliminated the noise in dashboard at speeds around 40 and accelerating, the same noise is back at same location at very low speeds. After the troubleshooting, my Tahoe had additional 270 miles added while it was at the service dept. Interesting, but whatever.
Seat pockets were replaced because passenger seat (map) pocket was loose, moving up and down from day one. They were replaced with new style half hard plastic, half cloth. Because of the new design, they had to replace both seat pockets. Now the pockets match each other but not the rest of the seat. I still have very rough idle and nobody in the world will convince me that this is normal.
Anyway when I wanted to have the other issues and the noise fixed and I offered that I will bring the Tahoe back to the dealer, Chevy decided that they do not want to repair it anymore and offered that they will replace it with another vehicle. And now they want me to pay extra because according to them LS model does not come standard with 5.3L engine. That is a load of crap. What would you guys do in situation like this?
My thought is that the dealer is trying to make few bucks on this. I am not even sure if I can go to another dealer, but it would make sense since Chevrolet is giving me the replacement, but who knows how it works. Anybody experienced similar situation? If so could you share some details with me? It's frustrating not being able to enjoy my new vehicle and having to go through all this BS.[]
Old February 9th, 2007, 10:35 AM
CF Active Member

Default RE: 07 Tahoe going back to GM

WOW!
i am sorry to hear about all this...its actually one of my biggest fears (tahoe with 29 miles sitting in my garage). If the dealer states that GM/Chevy is going to "replace" the vehicle, I would ask for a contact within corporate, so that you get the story straight, and cut out the middle man (who could be trying to capitalize on the situation)
Good luck with this, please keep us posted.
Old February 9th, 2007, 12:16 PM
CF Junior Member

In regards to the 5.3L V8. The LS models come standard with the 4.8L V8 for a 2WD andthe 5.3LV8 for a 4WDso they were telling to you the truthto some extent. However, if you had a 4.8L V8 2WD previously and want to upgrade to the 5.3L then your options would be to upgrade to the LT model and I would assume that you would be responsible for an increase in price. If you are getting the same optionsas the previous vehicle then I wouldn't pay a DIME! GOOD LUCK!
Old February 9th, 2007, 1:19 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think he has the 5.3. In the beginning of the year all ls and lt came with the 5.3 standard. The 4.8 was not out at that time. Now that the 4.8 is out, its standard in the ls. If you already have the 5.3 and gm is going to replace your truck,I think they should give you the exact package you have now at no charge. Just dont back up, and dont accept anything you dont want. Good luck....
Old February 9th, 2007, 1:26 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If GM is offering to replace your unit (we call it arbitration) then they will do so with a like vehicle at no additional cost, keep in mind that this is an effort on GM's behalf to satisfy a good customer and there is no satisfaction in getting the short end of the stick.
Old February 9th, 2007, 4:10 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks guys. Yes I do have 5.3L (not flex fuel version), which was standard at the time I bought it.
At least I did not pay extra for the 5.3 at that time. But now they claim that MSRP is about 1560 dollars higher then it was two months ago for same exact vehicle. I checked online for MSRP and still shows national average about same for same vehicle as it was when I bought my Tahoe. I will try to contact GM directly and I will post results what the results are. GM is offering replacement with 1000 dollars upgrade for my trouble and costs involved with trips to service etc.
Old February 9th, 2007, 4:17 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks ZX, do you know if I have to go to the same dealership where I bought my Tahoe originaly to finish the transaction ? I don't have a good feeling about their sales department. I am getting sort of mixed informations from them. Every day it is a little different story with a little different price. Thanks for your advice.

Old February 9th, 2007, 4:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have seen your posts and it does seem that your Tahoe is unusual in the amount of issues. I know other manufacturers would have made you suffer alot more before doing the right thing. I am glad to see GM stand behind their products. All manufacturers no matter where they are made do make some lemons.

I would definately try to contact a GM person directly to see if the dealer is being straight with you. As other posters here stated, the 4.8 was not available yet early in the model year. Needless to say you should get the same engine you paid for the first time.

Old February 9th, 2007, 6:04 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Call GM customer care and have them put in a call to the regional service manager in your area, normally you will leave a voice message and then they return your call, talk to this person about your concerns of dealing with the selling dealer and see if he will authorize a different dealership to complete the arbitration process.

I also wouldn't hesitate to tell the person that you're working with (and unhappy with) that you are going to GM to voice your concerns and also to see if another dealer can be used, many times this will straighten them right up, in the end the delivering dealer counts an arbitration vehicle just as if they sold it retail (albeit a very little profit though) so they don't want you to go somewhere else.

Normal fees that GM charges is around 20 cents per mile that you drove on the original car.

We see in many cases where dealers will make it sound as if GM is arbitrating the car but in reality the selling dealer is doing his own deal, in these cases it is normal for the customer to be nickel and dimed to death.

Contact GM and make certain that it is corporate that is actually initiating this arbitration.

Old February 9th, 2007, 11:42 PM
CF Junior Member

ZX, thank you very much for all the info.

Quick Reply: 07 Tahoe going back to GM