Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

07 TAHOE REAR CAMERA QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old November 29th, 2006, 5:09 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 07 TAHOE REAR CAMERA QUESTION

Hey konasmrz,

I just did the same thing you did, installing the Nav head-unit, and I too noticed the bass increase. Which leads me to asking you which radio did you have in before you did the upgrade? I'm thinkin' that the Bose system amp was ONLY made to work with the Nav head-unit. I don't think the amp that powers the sub-woofer was working with any other factory stereo. Two things lead me to believe this. 1. The very noticeable bass increase, and 2. Notice only the Nav head-unit has the Bose name printed on the front of it. None of the other stereo options say Bose on the front.

Old November 29th, 2006, 5:10 AM
CF Senior Member

Hey konasmrz,

I just did the same thing you did, installing the Nav head-unit, and I too noticed the bass increase. Which leads me to asking you which radio did you have in before you did the upgrade? I'm thinkin' that the Bose system amp was ONLY made to work with the Nav head-unit. I don't think the amp that powers the sub-woofer was working with any other factory stereo. Two things lead me to believe this. 1. The very noticeable bass increase, and 2. Notice only the Nav head-unit has the Bose name printed on the front of it. None of the other stereo options say Bose on the front.

Old November 29th, 2006, 12:00 PM
CF Active Member

I had the base radio (single cd) with XM & Bose. With the bass turned down it's acceptable but would like to get it configured correctly.

There must be some radio code option in the BCM that presets EQ levels based on radios.. ZX, is this the case?

Ps. Have not yet installed the Kenwood camera (have to wait until Xmas....) but I did verify that the rear camera option works by extending the video pigtail off the Coastal harness and plugging in my digital camera's video out. When I put the Tahoe in reverse I get picture! So there should not be an issue with the Kenwood.

Old November 29th, 2006, 12:28 PM
CF Senior Member

konasmrz,

Honestly I don't think that anything is wrong with your system, nor does it need to be reprogrammed. I too had the exact set up as you, and either you and I both have defective base units, or GM is fooling people into believing that they're getting the full sound experience with the Bose and the base model systems, WHEN you really only get it with the top of the line Nav unit. I don't know how long you listened to your radio before you did the Nav upgrade, but you were probably just used to hearing it with no bass because the amp was never powering the sub-woofer. My bass indicator was turned up about 3/4 on the basemodel system. Now with the Nav upgrade I had to turn it down to almost 1/2. Obviously your audio preferences are subjective, but there's no question that there is more power, and better sound coming out of the Nav head-unit, and again is the only GM head-unit with Bose lable stamped on the front of it.

So unless I'm misunderstanding you and your audio is distorted or just sounds crappy or out of whack, nothing is wrong with your system.

Now the next step is to find out factually that the amp is not being powered by the base model stereos is the case, and it's something that I'm working on. I do feel that my hypothesis is right on though.
Old November 29th, 2006, 1:04 PM
CF Active Member

TMW597,

You may be on to something here in that the amp/sub might not be active with the lower end radios. I have to admit that I had very little cockpit time with the original radio before I swapped in the NAV unit, but as I recall I was originally not impressed with the $495 Bose speaker system (expected more oomph) - until I hooked up the NAV & put in a DVD - at which point there was a noticable difference. Re: my preference - I have the bass set at ~ 25% & it thumps at that setting (which is the way I like it - to my earlier comment about it being "acceptable"). Going beyond 50% it gets overpowering to the point of being muddy - which is why I'm still thinking it's a programming thing.

Also,
I remember hearing something early on that GM was putting Bose systems in ALL the early run Tahoes (mine was built in May 2006), perhaps that has something to do with it?
Old November 29th, 2006, 1:16 PM
CF Senior Member

konasmrz,

Yep, seems like you and I are on the same page. Yeah, I've logged several hours in the truck with the base unit. I even drove back and forth to Vegas a couple of times so in the world of "before and after", I had a lot of time to hear the before. When I hooked up that Nav unit I was like, "WOW! Where did that full, rich sound come from?" I noticed it instantly. I was right there with you though when I took delivery of the truck. I was like, "This is the Bose system with the sub-woofer! Where's the bass?" Like you I expected much more oomph as you put it.

As far as your observation on when your truck was built, that could have something to do with it, and if you're getting bad audio I do agree with you on getting it looked at.

BTW, my truck was built the week of September 11th 2006.
Old November 29th, 2006, 7:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smartpark makes one that adds a camera to 2007 vehicles with Nav that were supposed to have cameras and did not. This plugs in and is a quick and easy install that can be done at any GM dealership. You can see it at www.smartpark.net, SmartPark also makes ipod integration for GM vehicles 2003-2007.
Old November 29th, 2006, 8:29 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like some good stuff Roger.
Is there any way to actually purchase these items?
Old November 29th, 2006, 8:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you bet the office line is 714-847-7222

[IMG]local://upfiles/5144/B157D457A31C4A509E1CC6CC03589652.jpg[/IMG]
Old November 29th, 2006, 9:39 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HOw about the price? I asked for info, will that get me the price?

To install the OEM camera it isnt too pricey. It is a bit scary that your site doesnt have prices. SHould I get a second job?

Quick Reply: 07 TAHOE REAR CAMERA QUESTION