Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

'07 Tahoe Z71 2WD Transmission Leaking

Search this Thread

Old March 29th, 2008, 11:49 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '07 Tahoe Z71 2WD Transmission Leaking

While under my Tahoe changing my oil yesterday I noticed some trans fluid on the front sway bar and around the oil pan. I always change my own oil and look for anything out of the ordinary. 3000 miles ago this wasn't here. There also isn't any evidence of it on the ground....yet. I have just over 17k miles, so I think this is a little odd. I wiped it down and since the trans was cold, I took it for a drive to warm it up so I could check the level. When I came back I didn't see anymore fluidand the level was normal. It's obviously a VERY slow leak since it hasn't started collecting on the gorund, but I'vedefinitely caught it early. I don't want this to turn into a problem later. I'm getting ready to put my Tahoe into storage for a year (I'm going to be on a remote assignment overseas). The time is getting close. I'm going to take it to the dealer next week, but I want to go armed with other people's experiences. I searched this forum for "transmission leaks" and didn't come up with anything. I googled the same for "2007 Tahoe" and came up with quite a bit! Besides leaks, it looks like others are having problems with the tranny in general. Other than this I haven't hand any other major issues with it!

Just wondering if any of you have had similar issues with yours? It's pretty unsettling to see any fluids leaking on a "brand new" Tahoe with 17,306 miles. I don't drive it hard and have only towed my Vette twice.

Thanks in advance,

Andy

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]
Old March 30th, 2008, 4:02 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: '07 Tahoe Z71 2WD Transmission Leaking

Had same issue with my 07 LTZ around 10k.It started leaving dime size drip of trans fluid in my garage.I took it in and it was a bad
seal in the trans.It was in shop for a couple of days and has been fine ever since.I'm still not happy with having trans pulled to replace a seal.Well goodluckwith your Tahoe.
Old March 30th, 2008, 11:34 AM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for the info, I'm gonna take it in this week after I get off work. I'll post more when I find out what's causing it. I'm assuming a seal as well.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]
Old March 31st, 2008, 3:42 PM
CF Beginner

I had the same thing happen to mine. Had mine close to 10k miles and noticed a small line of fluid under the rack and pinion. Brought it in for an oil change and had them do a dye test. When I went back for 10k maintenance, it turned out to be two bad seals in the tranny. They had the truck for a few days and now everything is looking good.