Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

('07) What does a bad front wheel bearing sound like?

Search this Thread

Old January 9th, 2010, 6:08 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ('07) What does a bad front wheel bearing sound like?

My '07 has begin to make a noise since the weather turned cold. It sounds like tire tread hum, but the tires never made that sound before. The hum changes pitch according to the speed and sounds like it's coming from the front. Any ideas?
Old January 9th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A Bearing makes a roaring sound similar to a tire tread sound. A bearing sound will change as you swerve side to side. Run your hands across the tires in all directions if they are choppy feeling that could be your noise. Rotate the tires see if the noise follows.
Old January 10th, 2010, 11:29 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

+1 on the tire rotation. For some reason, the front tires on Tahoes (all 4WD?) wear on the outer edge. I found that I have to rotate about every 5K to keep it under control. And yes the alignment was checked and in spec.
Old January 14th, 2010, 3:40 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

jacking up the front end and rotate the tires by hand and you can listen for any grinding, but something else besides a bearing is a dragging brake pad of worn pad gouging the rotor will make that sound too...

Hey Marc new Tahoe nice! sorry I've been a way from the forum have you posted pictures?

Last edited by in2pro; January 14th, 2010 at 3:43 PM. Reason: speeling
Old January 15th, 2010, 5:55 PM
Administrator

Not yet. Can't keep it clean in this winter we've been having. Never had this problem before global warming.
Old February 15th, 2010, 9:20 PM
CF Active Member

Default Epilog....

Five weeks after my first post on this, we traveled from our home in central Massachusetts to southern New Jersey. As we approached our destination, the hum (which I had gotten use to) suddenly turned into a grinding metal on metal sound. I barely made it to the dealership where I had purchased it (salesman friend from the old neighborhood) where it promptly died and refused to move any more without considerable grinding and metalic crunching. I left it there overnight for servicing. The problem was diagnosed correctly. It was a total failure of the right front wheel bearing. The bearing and hub were replaced in 1.1 hours under the 100K drivetrain warranty, and I was good to go this morning! Surprisingly, I experienced a +2mpg difference in economy on the way home. Don't know if that is attributed to the new bearing, or the 40 degree temperatures we experienced on the way back to the icebox.
Old February 15th, 2010, 11:52 PM
CF Active Member

Not called for.

Last edited by 992door; February 17th, 2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old February 16th, 2010, 6:20 AM
CF Active Member

Nothing against you either..man...but perhaps you just don't read very well...or perhaps you just sit in wait to take pot shots at forum members. The only symptom I had was something that sounded mild tire hum. I drove 250 miles at 70mph without any problem. It wasn't until I reached the dealer that the bearing came apart. READ! "...as we approached our destination" ie. less than a mile. Of course, you no doubt assume that everyone (like yourself) knows what a bad bearing sounds like, and knows the hazzards.

Last edited by Hardin Thicke; February 16th, 2010 at 6:26 AM.
Old February 16th, 2010, 12:56 PM
CF Active Member

You are right man i read part of it wrong. What If the bearing had came apart running 70mph and the wheel fell off. I dont just sit on here waiting to take pot shots at people. I mean if there is any chance even the slightest that a problem could be a wheel bearing it should not be put off even a day i think. But i should have stated that a little different before.
Old February 16th, 2010, 8:54 PM
Administrator

Half the dealers would have told him it was "operating as designed" and the rest would probably have told him it was his tires and tried to sell him four new tires at full retail.

Quick Reply: ('07) What does a bad front wheel bearing sound like?