Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

'08 burb LTZ Service Suspension System

Search this Thread

Old April 18th, 2011, 7:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question '08 burb LTZ Service Suspension System

Hi all!

I'm new to this great forum, and new to the Chevy Suburban as well.
I've bought it a few months ago. Awesome SUV. It's got little over 110k miles in it. Runs great.
About a month ago, the Service Suspension System came up on the DIC. The autoride is working well, the vehicle levels out and takes sharp turns and rides nice. The message did not came up every time. The weather was quiet wet at that time, and I did not feel like to crawl under the car to take a peek. Once my windshield washer fluid got low, the two messages alternately were flashing. It was kinda bugging me, so I've decided to take a look after I've topped up the washer and checked the fluids. I've located all 4 autoride sensors, if that's what they are called. I've gentli wiggled the lincage to see if its broken or disconnected, wiggled the wires. It all seemed to be ok. Started the engine, and voila, no messages. A few days later the Service Suspension System started to popping up again. Not every time, but almost every day. The burb stil rides nice, so I don't worry too much about it yet. But I'd like to know, what is going on. Ya, I could take it to the dealer, but, the money kinda tight.
So, I just received today a CreaderV scanner. Plugged it in, started the engine, Service Suspension System on the DIC, no code set, according to the CreaderV. It reads all kinds of stuff real time, so, I assume it works.
I read more on the forums than I write. I could not find any info to pinpoint to the problem.
Anyone knows anything about this Service Suspension System?
The tire pressures are ok as well. I don't experience any problem, other than this message.
Old April 19th, 2011, 3:13 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Have you tried speaking with your dealership to see if they might have some sort of insight or might be able to point you in the right direction on fixing the vehicel yourself? They should be able to simply diagnose the vehicle to give you a better starting point on repairing the vehicle on your own. Also if the job looks to be a bit more than you initially bargained for you can have them repair the vehicle as well. I hope this helps you.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old April 19th, 2011, 5:39 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the reply.
It would make sense if it would be a Chevy dealer. The dealer I bought the burb from, is just a used car dealer with no service capabilities. I've got free oil change for a year, and when the DIC will say the oil needs to be changed, they will send me to some shop they deal with. Anyways, 20% oil life is remaining, so it's coming up soon. I will ask them then.
Today there was no message on the DIC.
If the burb would ride rough or off level, I would bite the bullet and pop in at my local Chevy dealer in a big hurry. But, that's not the case.
I just had that thought it happened to someone else too and had it figured out and fixed.
Old April 19th, 2011, 6:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless the CreaderV can read out GM B (body) and C (chassis) codes, I'm not surprised that there's no code to be read. Didn't the vehicle come with any warranties at all?
Old April 19th, 2011, 7:26 PM
CF Beginner

I've bought a very limited power-train warranty. It does not cover diagnosis nor suspension system. Basically it's only for the engine, transmission, transfer-case and differential internally lubricated components.
The CreaderV does read GM DTCs, both, generic and manufacturer specific (P,B,C,U).
So, I think, if a DTC is set, it would read it. Also, I think, if it sets a DTC, then the Service Suspension System would be on on the DIC every time after I start the engine. Today there was no message on the DIC.
I think, may be it's electrical/electronics problem. Mechanically the vehicle appears to be sound.
Once this damn rain/snow stops, I will investigate the situation. May be just some intermittent connection problem. Just a happy thought.
Old April 21st, 2011, 12:12 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

RoTo, I hope you are able to get this issue resolved through your own means. If you need any more assistance feel free to contact me.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old July 23rd, 2011, 9:31 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever fix the problem?
Old July 24th, 2011, 10:17 AM
CF Beginner

Question

No, I didn't.
It's very intermittent. With this hot weather it rarely happens no matter what I do. When it was cool and wet, and after starting the engine, I opened the window, or adjusted the seat, or turned on the fog-light. The message popped up 99% of the time. I think, the moisture gets into somewhere where it should not go, and that's messing with one or more of the control modules and or sensors.
The bottom of the frame started rusting. It is factory painted with some black rubberized paint. It started to peeling off, on the bottom part of the frame. And started to rust. I think, the original owner had the bottom oil-sprayed and that damaged the rubberized paint and started to peel. And rust, after the up-splashing from puddles blasted off the damaged paint. No rust on the body or under-body panels.
Last weekend I lifted up the vehicle, and blasted off the mud, salt, loose paint and all gunk I could. I've tried not to spay the electrical/electronic connections and sensors. It was almost impossible, because I've removed all 4 wheel house linings, engine guard (removed the spare tire as well, the secondary latch would not unlatch for a while, well I guess it would be much less fun to do that 20 below in a foot deep snow). I've blasted it with a 2.5 gal/min. 3000 psi pressure washer, for hours. What a messy job it was. After that started the engine with no problem (surprise ), so I parked the burb under the sun for the rest of the day to dry. The next day I lifted it up, and with a scraper, wire-brush and air-gun, I've did the best I could to remove all the rust and loose paint. Well, this job was even messier then pressure washing. It took me hours. After that I blew off all the rust dust and stuff from the bottom with the airgun. After that I sprayed the whole bottom, avoiding electrical/electronic connections and sensors. It took 7 quart of black rubberized paint to do a nice even coat. I will check it next summert, to see, how it holds up. I know, this is not the fix for the "Service Suspension System" warning.
Anyways, the message shows up very rare now .
Old July 26th, 2011, 2:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine does also. It seems to do it when it is raining, doesnt make sense. I have noticed that the compressor doesnt come on to level the ride out. I am gonna start to cleaning connector soon. Thanks for the input.
Old July 26th, 2011, 5:39 PM
CF Beginner

Yes, the rain is definitely a factor. Sorry about your luck, but I am happy someone can confirm it. I do listen too to the sound of the compressor. It is really quiet, but audible. After engine start, runs like for 4-5 seconds. In my case, I don't think that is the issue. On a second thought, I'll check out the solenoids. If I guess right, the vent solenoid has to open before the compressor motor starts, than close, than checks for the pressure buildup. Something like that. I am no car mechanic, but I am a certified industrial millwright and certified industrial electrician. I know a thing or two. Since my burb runs "perfect", I was not rushing on this issue. At work, I fix machines, all sorts and kinds. The way I work is, I diagnose and pinpoint the problem, I don't just rip $#it apart to see what's up, and replace what's not broken.
After pressure washing the bottom of my burb, I really expected to have the "Service Suspension System" "permanently" to stay on. I kinda hoped for it (easier to find the problem). Instead of that, it's really rare to pop up. So, at this point I don't know what's up.

Quick Reply: '08 burb LTZ Service Suspension System