Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1994 Sub. Idles rich no power seeming fuel problem

Search this Thread

Old August 11th, 2011, 10:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Sub. Idles rich no power seeming fuel problem

Hello,

This isn't driven much (we parked it last fall with the boat hooked up and had to unhook it a month ago for wife to take it to work).

1994 1500 5.7 4WD

After driving 12 miles on the highway, it killed at a stoplight, would restart and idle--but as soon as she pushed the accelerator--it would die. It started running very rich while he (service guy) was looking at it. The is a service station right where it died. The service guy thought throttle position sensor and changed it, no help, then he thought MAP and O2 sensor, changed them no help, then computer--no help, last resort for him, distributor (complete),,,no help.

I know you may think this guy doesn't have a clue----thats not the case.

The diagnostic port won't talk to the scanner, so he has to shoot in the dark.

What we know:

It runs VERY rich with no power to move the truck.

Parts changed:

Throttle position sensor
O2 sensor
MAP sensor
computer
distributor

All with no change on symptoms.

I am leaning towards asking him to check triple check to be sure a plug wire didn't get crossed when they first started working on it, I know it can happen to anybody sooner or later. Then check Crankshaft position sensor, get an accurate reading on fuel pressure, and Beyond that I don't know where to go next.

He is open to ideas we may give him, so far his bill is only $200 for parts since he feels bad he hasn't fixed it, which I think is more than fair.

There was an alarm system removed from this truck by an alarm company after I got it a few years ago, I actually don't think its had a scanner hooked up to it the whole time I have owned it (2004) since it hasn't had a problem til now--so I don't know if the port not talking to a scanner is a new or old problem. He is afraid it may be a wiring problem causing the port not to talk---and the running problem. I would like to not agree with that but have no way to prove it.

Thoughts or ideas?

Thanks
Dan
Old August 12th, 2011, 7:03 AM
CF Senior Member

is the pressure regulator leaking into the throttle body?and whats the fuel pressure?

Sean

97 4x4 burb
Old August 12th, 2011, 11:44 AM
CF Active Member

Check cigarette lighter fuse,might be cause for no communication thr diagnostic port.
Old August 17th, 2011, 9:46 PM
CF Beginner

hhhmmmppphhhhhhh,,,,,,,,,well I am glad to say its fixed.

Sad to say my local neighborhood service station gave up on this, I went and got a "Coolant Temp Sensor",,,,,(which was on a laundry list of items I wanted him to check---which I gave to him on paper and he looked it over and said,,,,,,checked it,,,,,,checked it,,,,,,nope that wouldn't do it,,,,,,nope,,,,,,,ect ect ect) ----- I changed it in his parking lot and drove it home, around for a half hour on country roads,,,,,,,problem gone.

Now it looks like I gotta find a different repair shop.
Old August 25th, 2011, 11:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yep, ECT will give you hard start when hot and tun rich all the time.
Old August 25th, 2011, 4:22 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow too bad you spent that much money in the 1st place...Racer is right, if your computer thinks the engine is hot it will dump extra fuel in to try and cool things down among other things