Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1995 Suburban Headlight Progression

Search this Thread

Old June 24th, 2021, 1:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Suburban Headlight Progression

I just bought a 1995 Chevy Suburban in pretty good working order. ( Or I wouldn't have bought it ). Nevertheless, there are a couple minor issues.
  • With the headlight switch in the OFF position - the inboard hi-beam lights are on by themselves. Like when driving during the day.
  • With the switch set to ON - nothing changes. Still just the hi-beam lights only.
  • With the switch set to the Hi-Beam position - I get the normal low beams by themselves.
Logic would tell me that the harness plug is flipped or something. Maybe at the switch perhaps...? Or is it the wiring at the lamps themselves...?

I really don't want any lamps on during the day (with the switch on OFF). And I don't want the Hi-Beams on unless I turn the switch to Hi-Beams.

Where should I start...?

Oh, I should mention that a previous owner (or first owner had it as an option) put on a Lund visor with the amber trucker lights. They don't seem to come on at any setting.

Does anyone know about them...?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by mellowmike; June 24th, 2021 at 1:30 PM.
Old June 24th, 2021, 4:46 PM
CF Beginner

Doing a bit more on Google... this appears to be the Daytime Running Lights configuration.

Apparently you can pull the DRL fuse out, and the system reverts to regular (no lights on during the day).

I'm going to try that. Hopefully the inboard + outboard lamps will revert to the way I'm used to.
Old June 24th, 2021, 7:26 PM
CF Beginner

Okay... after messing around with it for a bit... I got it under control.

Someone had the dimmer set to Hi-Beams inadvertently, and with the Sun hitting the dash panel, I couldn't see the Hi-Beam "on" idiot light.

So, I shut that off using the turn signal arm dimmer control.

Then I pulled out the #15 fuse for the DLR.

Now I have zero lights on during the daytime... and parking lights only on the next click... and then outboard headlights only on the last click. Hooray!