Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1996 Suburban K1500 - wont shift to 3 & 4

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2014, 1:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Suburban K1500 - wont shift to 3 & 4

Hello - again -

Based upon some new info - decided to RE-post below as 'different thread' only because I don't have 'speedometer problem'. Transmission still refuses to go from 2 to 3 or 4 when in either '3' or 'D'. Will run when 'shift lever' is set to '2'. Soooo, based upon what I've read on these (and other)
forums: 1. AAMCO guy says clutches gone & need rebuilding (~$2500).
2. Local good mechanic says may be 3/4 solenoid AND/OR that since tran fluid has NEVER been changed, cud be dirt/filings/crap clogging a line preventing high-enuf pressure fluid from 'actuating' the shift into 3rd gear.
3. I have read about similar issues here; current OBDII code is P1870, suggesting multitude of possible problems. And, 4. The fluid level is up
(mentioned below) 1" higher than 'top marker' - could this - by itself - cause the shifting problem? (revised @ 1440 hrs - EDT - today - 05-10-2014)

Hello - I read all posts about the problems described here. My 1996 Suburban K1500 5.7L (w/4L60-E, I believe [I'm an idiot, so some of this may not be completely accurate] ) and heavy duty trailering pkge, trans cooler, etc. -- just recently began NOT shifting UP into 3rd or 4th gears [overdrive?]. Had driven from CT to Tucson (2500 miles pulling trailer). Got rid of trailer load & drove around out there on very crappy roads another 2000 mi; then, back here to CT on interstates @ ~67 mph. Best mileage/performance I ever had (has ~ 140K miles on it). Until 45 miles from home when suddenly engine started 'revving' as tranny wud NOT go up into 3 & 4. Fluid level was/is high (an inch above top mark on stick); but good red color. Manually shifted into 2 and drove home slowly on back roads. One mechanic said 'codes' show bad '3-4
solenoid'; but he is way to busy to do any in-depth work, unfortunately, as he is excellent man. Went to sleazy looking/acting AAMCO guy and he tells me entire tranny needs replacement/rebuilding. I now read above comments and realize there may possibly be some Electronic issue w/sensors (VSS; etc.) & NOT require the $2500 the AAMCO guy wants !!!
The 'check engine' light came on shortly AFTER the malfunction first occurred. I will get another OBC II reading from my first trusted mechanic today and write down and post here later. However, ANY help/advice/suggestions will be appreciated. THX. signed - Old Stupid Guy still w/bullet holes from SE Asia.