Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1996 Tahoe radio problem

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2009, 1:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Tahoe radio problem

I am having a problem with my radio - it was working fine and then it started just going silent. I bought a new radio on ebay and installed it and it worked fine for about 3 minutes and then it went silent as well - The fuse is fine and it is getting power fine - all lights are working. My old one would work for about 2 or 3 minutes and then go silent. After a little while it would turn on normal again and then go silent again after 2 or 3 minutes. It seems like an amp or capacitor problem that is overloading and then resets itself. Could anyone provide guidance to help fix this?
Thanks!
Old May 3rd, 2009, 7:05 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Welcome to the Tahoe forum. Might moniter the power to the radio to make sure you're not losing 12V.
Old May 4th, 2009, 6:10 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Probably have a grounded speaker lead. Pull the radio, and use a multimeter that has the beep during continuity function. Attach on lead to ground, and test all the speaker leads. If you get a beep, that is the wire thats grounded. Either find where that harness is pinched, or run a new speaker lead
Old May 5th, 2009, 8:23 AM
CF Beginner

Default Thanks - more help?

OK - thanks - but would that let the radio play for a few minutes and then go out? When it goes out, the sounds starts to fade out slowly and then a loud sound ("blurt") comes out and then it is silent. Then a little while later I can turn it back on and it will do it again.
Old May 5th, 2009, 5:55 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

the radio has a feature where if one of the leads gets pinched, it will cut out all audio rather than burn out the radio. When you cycle power to the radio, it resets, kind of like a circuit breaker.

If all speaker leads test ok, try removing speakers one at a time. One could possibly be internal shorted.
If all checks out ok, I would say to go after the radio
Old May 6th, 2009, 8:56 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks - if I disconnect a speaker, will the radio play or do all speakers have to be attached? The speakers are OEM from 1996 so they could be going out - they do have some scratching sound when sound goes thru.
Old May 6th, 2009, 11:06 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default speakers

you want to actually add them 1 at a time, remove all 4 speakers (car OFF), add just one, then car ON, play for 5 min... if it keeps playing, car off, add 2nd speaker... car on... etc loop.

u actually have 6 speakers if you have the 4 door, right? the rear doors and the rear pillar?

my setup only has 4 speakers w/the 2 door.

this may be a royal pain if you have the harness that just clips in... if you wired the factory end to the radio end, it means even more fun...

I have my front right speaker cutting in / out from a loose wire; but I even have aftermarket amps in the trunk... fun times... which is also why... the whole truck is for SALE!

I have 2 amps, 3 subs, kenwood deck, alpine speakers... 1 farad cap... but im thinking of pulling it... but what if the new owner wants it?

anyway, good luck!