Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1997 tahoe eats up fuel pumps

Search this Thread

Old February 6th, 2010, 7:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Tahoe burning up fuel pumps

Been having problems with burning up pumps, been reading all posts and have done everything it has stated. I have completely cleaned out the tank of any debris, change harness, changed relay, replaced pressure regulator, had to replace all injectors. I was driving and pump #5 went out. Put new one in and still have no pump kicking on. Traced all wires and no wires are corroded or disconected. Wondering if something else has caused pumps to give out. I have also replaced filter. Any suggestions? It is my only transportation and it is getting quite frustrating. I have only own the vehicle since March of 2009
Old February 7th, 2010, 11:55 AM
CF Beginner

Default 1997 Tahoe eats up fuel pumps

I did replace one of the pumps as an AC Delco and it burned up in a month. Talked to a dealership and they say could be a electrical, but I traced all the wires from pump up to the relay, checked all the grounds and nothing was broken or missing connection. I am starting to think it could be something else causing my new pump not to kick on, but I am stumped at what it could be. Gonna go back down to the shop today and work on my vehicle some more and see if I can figure out but am a little doubtful. Please help with some other ideas.
Old February 21st, 2012, 7:48 AM
CF Beginner

I was driving down the road in my 97 tahoe and the truck suddenly had an extreme lack of power so I pulled over and it just died. Came to the conclusion it was the fuel pump and had it towed. Put in brand new fuel pump and it is still not kicking on. Checked all fuses and relays and found that the ECM II fuse had blown. Asked around and I got 2 answers, its a power issue to the pump replace wiring harness or the computer shorted out. Anyone have any ideas or comments please let me know THANKS!
Old May 11th, 2012, 11:53 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Default Type of fuel pump

We had the same problem with our 96 Tahoe, each week for 3 weeks straight it left me stranded because another fuel pump went out. The parts store kept saying we had another problem, finally an employee told us about problems with that brand of fuel pump(Airtek), we went to Delphi and that stopped our problem. This one has been in nearly 2 yrs and no issues.
Old May 12th, 2012, 5:10 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

ariesfriend58 Welcome to the forum...

A valuable lesson in you get what you pay for...there are some items where you can go aftermarket but items where its labor intensive it can be worth the cost of OEM to only have to do it once...
Your OEM replacement will most likely be the last time you have to change that pump...at least for another 10+ years..
Old May 16th, 2012, 6:12 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ZX1100F1
Yes it is, the new connector is likely an update to what was used to make the repair 7-8 years ago.
There was also an issue with some technicians not installing the new connector properly.
99 TAHOE FUEL PUMP PROBLEMS took the connector right off and wired new pump to harness , still having problems with pump , what could cause continuing pump problems . u may write to my e mail at [....]

Last edited by in2pro; May 16th, 2012 at 8:13 AM. Reason: Personal email link removed by moderator
Old May 16th, 2012, 8:17 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

99 Tahoe Welcome to the forum...
Are you using an OEM pump or aftermarket? is the tank ran pretty close to empty most of the time?
For the forum to work, its best to keep the discussions public, after all that is how you found this link