Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1999 Suburban headlights flicker problem

Search this Thread

Old January 1st, 2008, 7:15 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Suburban headlights flicker problem

I have a 1999 1500 chevy suburban and the headlights started flickering. The instrument panel also was flickering. Both of these symptoms disappeared when the engine was at a higher rpm. I had the bat and alternater checked and was told that they were ok.

I found the NHTSA TSB number 3170E/10019186 but was unable to get the full report.

Thevehicle is in the dealership now and they have already asked for another dayto get it fixed. They also did not have any answers as to what the problem was.

I am not comfortablewith this. Has anyone had this problem and know somemore info?

thanks
Rich
Old January 1st, 2008, 12:59 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 1999 Suburban headlights flicker problem

Just because the person that you are dealing with at the dealer service department isn't familiar with the problem doesn't mean that they can't or won't make the repair properly, it is also common for dealerships to request to keep some vehicles longer then was originally projected for a multitude of reasons.

Document ID# 1750221
1999 Chevrolet Chevy Suburban - 4WD #PIT3170E - (01/11/2006)

Customers may have comments of a flickering light condition in the IPC, interior lamps or headlights.

This condition is most likely to be noticed when the engine RPM is low and when high electrical load requirements are in place on the generator.

Important:Review bulletin 02-06-03-008A - Low Voltage Display on IP Gauge, Lights Dim at Stop Lights, Battery Discharged, before proceeding with this PI. Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery/batteries. Slide the protective boot on the generator BAT terminal aside and remove the retainer and wire cable from the BAT terminal. Unplug the generator 4-cavity terminal from the top of the generator. Inspect cavity D on the generator connector for a red cavity plug. If a red cavity plug is present, it is not necessary to replace the generator connector. Remove the CPA and save. Remove the red cavity plug and continue with step 9. If a red cavity plug is NOT present, continue with the next step. Remove and save the orange Weatherpack seal and CPA from the 4-way connector. Using the proper terminal removal tool, remove the two or three wires from the 4-way connector. On vehicles without Supplemental Brake Assist (SBA), install a red cavity plug, P/N 12059168, into cavity "A" of the new 4-way connector, P/N 12186568. On some 2003 and 2004 model year vehicles with SBA, install the dark blue (Circuit 5668) wire of the vehicle wiring harness into cavity "A" of the new 4-way connector. Depending on the vehicles model and year, install the brown wire (Circuit 25) or red wire (Circuit 225) of the vehicles wiring harness into cavity "B" of the new 4-way connector. Install the gray (Circuit 23) wire of the vehicle wiring harness into cavity "C" of the new 4-way connector. Obtain a piece of 0.80 mm/18GA black wire, 254 mm (8 in) long. Install a red terminal seal, P/N 12048086, and terminal, P/N 12048074, (crimp and solder) on one end of the new black wire. Install the new black wire into cavity "D" of the new 4-way connector. Reinstall the connector seal and CPA, from the original connector, to the new connector. Plug the 4-way connector into the generator. Route the black wire to the generator BAT terminal, sliding the wire into the small end to the output terminal boot, along side the generator output wire. Obtain a ring terminal from the terminal kit (J-38125-D) that is the same diameter as the positive post of the generator. Crimp and solder the ring terminal from the terminal kit (J-38125-D) on to the open end of the new black wire. Place the generator output wire and the new black wire onto the generator BAT terminal and install the retainer. Connect the negative battery cable.
Note:
This modification will not work if the vehicle is utilizing the new "Regulated Voltage Control" system. This is new feature on some full-size trucks and utilities for the 2005 model year. Please inspect the vehicle prior to performing this modification. Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
Old January 1st, 2008, 4:18 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks, I will get this over to the dealer tomorrow. I hope it helps them out.

thanks again
Rich
Old January 2nd, 2008, 8:14 AM
CF Beginner

i would guess that you have already checked this , but i had a car thathad almost the same problem and the ground cable on the battery was a little loose, i would be driving along and everyting would click on and off, i tore into the dash thinking i had some bare wires rubiing in the dash , when all along it was aloose ground,
Old January 2nd, 2008, 8:50 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That is a good idea as well and you can also have these symptoms if the engine to body ground strap on the back of the motor is not attached securely.
Old August 2nd, 2010, 10:29 AM
CF Beginner

Hey if you need to replace your headlights, you can try www.headlightsdepot.com i got mine over there, the quiality is great, and very cheap.
Old August 2nd, 2010, 10:56 AM
CF Beginner

actually just traded in my 99 for an 07, but when my 99 did that i replaced the alternator and it was solved. Have them check it again. I would bet that it is the alt.