Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1999 Suburban stalls on start-up

Search this Thread

Old September 12th, 2017, 10:47 AM
Newly Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 1999 Suburban stalls on start-up

Hey all,
I did search the forums for clues, but couldn't find any threads that quite matched my symptoms. Any clues on where to start looking for the culprit would be helpful. We're trying to get our 4 kids to Disney this November, so there's no money in the budget for garage bills.

The patient: Serenity, our 1999 Suburban LT K1500 family hauler, grocery getter and school runner. 5.7L gas. The issues started yesterday morning, one of the first 'cooler' mornings of the season.
  • Truck stalls immediately on start-up, more during cold starts, but still has trouble when warm
  • I can use the gas pedal to keep it from stalling, and hold the RPMs steady easily
  • After a few minutes, it will hold idle by itself and we can drive normally
  • the clock resets to 1:00 randomly whenever I restart the engine
  • No real change in performance once it's running.

Looking for help on what to look for and/or clean before I start replacing parts or sensors. I've only owned the truck for a little under 2 years, now, so I'm not familiar with what's been done to it before. We did have the fuel pump replaced last year, and I recently replaced the air filter (like a month ago)