Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1999 Suburban stalls on start-up

Search this Thread

Old September 12th, 2017, 1:18 PM
Newly Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Suburban stalls on start-up

I tried to post this several hours ago, but haven't seen it post yet. If the original has been approved, mods please delete this one. If the original was lost to the ether, then please leave this one

Hey all, looking for some pointers on where to start solving a start-up stalling/no idle issue.

The Patient: Serenity, my family's 1999 Suburban K1500 5.7l family hauler/grocery getter/school runner, with just over 221,000
The Symptoms
  • Stalls immediately after starting - doesn't settle to idle at all
  • Can hold the idle with the gas pedal, runs as smooth as it used to so long as I hold the pedal
  • Releasing the pedal will stall the engine
  • The clock randomly resets to 1:00 when I restart it
  • After a few minutes, it will hold idle by itself and we can drive it as normal
  • The issue continues when the engine is warm - shut down to go into the school office for 10 minutes, stalls when I come back out
  • Seems easier to 'regain' the idle when warmer
I searched the forum, and didn't find the same set of symptoms that I have. I'm hoping to have some guidance on what to check/clean/replace, since I have limited time to work on the truck - 4 kids that constantly have things to do and places to go.