Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1999 suburban won't start

Search this Thread

Old October 5th, 2011, 10:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 suburban won't start

I have been having issues with truck for last month and a half,misfires,hesitation,etc.No check engine light until about 5 days ago.Prior to check engine i changed plugs,fuel filter but nothing changed?Then the engine light came on and the code was p1345 crankshaft position/cam sensor correlation?i replaced the crank sensor and it ran a little better and today i changed out the cam position sensor and she wont fire at all??Put old parts back in still nothing.I have good fuel pressure,spark,pulled rotor and cycled rotor to #1 cyl,dead on the mark with balancer..Even shot a little bit of starting fluid in throttle body but nothing..Engine turns once or twice after letting off starter almost like a timing thing??Any idea's or help would be greatly appreciated..Thanks.
Old October 6th, 2011, 5:49 AM
CF Senior Member

how old is your cap and rotor i had a bad cap and a rotor that wasn't made to spec and on damp days i could barely get it started, do you have spark at the plugs?
Old October 6th, 2011, 12:53 PM
CF Beginner

the cap and rotor are new and i have good spark at plugs and coil.when i was trying to access the dis cap to replace the cps i did unplug the connector for the ignition control module.i had a friend here and he suspects that now the icm is bad?truck has fuel and spark just wont fire.so i guess i am going to shell $80 for an icm.thanks for post i will update progress.
Old October 6th, 2011, 2:16 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Did you replace the cps? If the cps is bad it will NOT start, and sometimes will throw a cps code.
Old October 6th, 2011, 2:27 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

That code is crankshaft position to camshaft position correlation error. That tells me You might look at the timming chain.
Old October 6th, 2011, 4:22 PM
CF Beginner

I did replace the cps when i got the initial p1345 code and truck ran better,next day i replaced the cam sensor and nothing.today i tried the icm and still nothing,and with the truck not being to be started i cant get any codes to further help diagnose the problem.It just does not make sense that the truck ran fine up to the point of replacing the cam sensor under the rotor..i might have to pull distributor and check condition of the gear on bottom..
Old October 6th, 2011, 4:24 PM
CF Beginner

the entire engine was rebuilt 2 yrs ago btw and only has 18k on it.
Old October 15th, 2011, 8:23 PM
CF Beginner

Well suburban is up and running great again.Some how when i replaced the cps i had slightly bent the metal which attaches the rotor and it through the whole firing order out of wack.So a whole new distributor did the trick.By the way save yourself some money if having a similar issue that i had the new distributor comes complete with everything,cap,rotor and sensor.I spent more on buying the individual parts and luckily was able to return most and recoop some cash...